Elvis - A Little Less Conversation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave B, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Dave B

Dave B New Friend

Dec 31, 2008
    London
    Hi Guys, first post so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Basically, at short notice I have been asked to play the trumpet part for this piece.

Slight problem though, I am completely incompetent at listening to music and trying to work out the notes...
    Secondly, when I listen to the piece I am not entirely sure where the trumpets actually play as I can't hear it very well.

I was wondering if anyone could either just tell me (in mins and secs etc) where the trumpets play, or even better if anyone could tell me where I could find the music for free, or best of all if anyone could just tell me what the notes are and where in the song they are.

Any queries, just ask.

Any help would be amazing.
    Thanks All
    Dave

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Who are you going to be playing with (rock band, small combo, pep band, etc)? Listening to the original is fine for getting familiar with the tune, but you'll have to find out what key the group is playing the song in and what they expect you to play.

Listening to the original (YouTube - Elvis Presley - A Little Less Conversation) the trumpet part is just background stuff with pops here and there and sustained notes during the chorus, so you probably won't find any sheet music for it.

3. Dave B

Dave B New Friend

Dec 31, 2008
    London
    Well it is just a straight cover I think so it should be identical to the original in terms of key etc.

Do you know what the sustained notes are at 50 secs onwards and then the pops at 1:25 onwards? If you give me a rough idea then I can slightly change it if it doesnt fit.

Thanks

4. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Hi Dave,

Here's what I suggest:

Find yourself a keyboard player (ideally with a good ear for picking out notes). Have them plink along with the song until they find the notes for you. Take the notes your keyboard player has written down and raise them up one full tone (i.e: if the keyboardist says it an F you play your G, etc) This is because the trumpet is a b flat instrument. The C you play on the page is actually the tone of a B flat.

Mind you, this will work only if the group you are playing with is playing it in the original key. If they transpose it, that's another can o' worms.

Good luck!!

IMHO
    Steve

5. Dave B

Dave B New Friend

Dec 31, 2008
    London
    Hi Guys,

Sorry to drag this up again but basically I have a rehearsal later this week and as I have been at home have not been able to get a piano player. Any other advice on what to do???

Cheers

6. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    break out the horn and try to figure out the notes yourself with the above recording...transcribing is good for the ear and the soul...

7. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Champ is right, ultimately you should work on transcribing and playing by ear. That being said, and you're on short time, perhaps the other musicians in the group could help you pick out the notes? It sounds as if the trumpet part is within your abilities, you just don't have the "ear" to pick it up yet. I'm sure once you can get the sound in your head you'll be fine.

Good Luck,
    Steve

8. cbdmd

cbdmd Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2007
    East Coast
    One way, if you really have trouble playing by ear is to run through your scales as the song plays. Keep playing until it sounds like you're blending with the song (hopefully it was recorded at proper pitch, whatever key it is and it sounds like this song is a fairly simple song so there aren't any complex key changes).
    Once you find the key it's written in (by ear), you can play any of the notes within that scale and they should blend/fit within the key of the song. If it's in G...play through the G scale. This will give you at least a starting point to build from.
    Improvising and playing by ear can be fun and rewarding. Who can resist a Jam session? Before long you will be playing by ear with ease. It's just a natural thing while using your fundamentals.
    You can make playing by ear part of your daily routine (make it a small part, don't take away too much from your structured practice routine). After a while you'll be able to pick the notes out in your head before you even touch your trumpet. Good luck! Happy playing!

CB

"So my advice to young players who do want to play with Stamina, strength and range is to really recognize that 1) your lip is not it, 2) your enemies are the hands--don't press too hard." Maynard Ferguson Nov. 1988 interview with Kenneth L. Neidig BDGuide