Embarassing mobile phone moments!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I had a near potential disaster with my mobile phone yesterday. I was playing on the end chair of my band in a competition when my mobile went off!!! Bloomin hell fire. I nearly required spare underwear! I just about managed to press the answer button before the "oom pa loompa" tune started kicking off. Anyone else have any mobile phone moments?

Cheer's B.U.M

PS. This is a hitman friendly thread! Go on give me both barrels hitman.

MJ likes this.
  2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Well, in music history class last thursday we were talking about early brass instruments, and we had specifically finished talking about trumpets when my cell goes off: the opening of War by the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble. The professor just went, "perfect timing"
    (YouTube - "WAR" by HYPNOTIC BRASS ENSEMBLE is the song)

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    We are living in a time when "some" owners care less about others than themselves, otherwise, they would set their phones on "vibrate" as a matter of course. Instead, there are very few public settings where cell phone spoil the moment. People apparently can't go two minutes without listening to or talking through their cell phones. I've even heard them going off in a symphony concert, church service, theater, funeral home service, cemetery committal and/or other public meeting. In such places, the cell phone should be set for "silent" use and when a call comes in the party should quietly leave the room (or area) to take the call in respect to others.

Increased cell phone technology continually arrives, but sadly respectful cell phone etiquette has not followed. No wonder we have embarassing moments with our cell phones?

If one forgets to turn off a cell phone at events or entering places where the phone should be set to "silent" that is excusable. However, there are many folks who don't have the courtesy to do so, nor do they think they should have to though it disrespects others.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The very idea of being permanently "available" is the biggest blow to the freedom we once called America.
    I will not post about the communication drug dependencies that have spoiled the musical experience for me. It used to be the smokers that threw their butts anywhere and everywhere. Now we have similar sonic pollution. We soon will see concert halls and churches with frequency jamming to block reception during "special events".
    Wake up world!

5. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    I think Symphony Hall in Chicago does just that, Rowuk.

6. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    To this day, I sometimes answer people with one of those wireless ear pieces. I keep forgetting that they are talking to someone else, and not me as they stroll around the store speaking out loud. Damn things are a nuissance.

I use my cell phone sparingly, and never in a crowd or public place.
    Too bad everyone else is in such a hurry that they can't wait 10 minutes
    to discuss what color socks to wear tomorrow. :thumbdown:

7. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I do not have a sense of humor about this topic.

The first word that comes to mind is, Twit.

Cell phone jammers are installed and working well in corporate, military and theatrical America.

8. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    We are supposed to keep our cell phones off at my job because of frequency interference. Sometimes, someone forgets. It's not the end of the world, just embarrassing and then we have a little fun kidding the offender. I try not to sweat the small stuff.

9. Brasil66

Brasil66 Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2008
    Southeast
    Ten years ago, you would have been ordered outside and had the holy crap beaten out of you. :stars: However, absolutely everyone has cell phones today and we as a society haven't caught up with the new trend. Who doesn't have one? We just don't know how to deal with it. Remember the football coach at the press conference after a game a few years ago who just about killed a reporter whose cell kept going off. Humiliated the poor guy.

These days, it's really not a big deal. Unless you're onstage, getting ready to perform. Then it's a big deal. Then you should be ordered outside and have the holy crap beat out of you. (maybe not ;-)) JC

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    It's rather amazing how well a Getzen trumpet case absorbs the sound of a mobile phone. I ALWAYS put mine in the trumpet case and close the lid. However, in a moment of poor concentration, I have been known to forget to turn it to 'submarine mode' (silent running). To guard against that happening again - I have composed my own ring tone to use a C Major arpeggio. True story. :oops: