Embarassing mobile phone moments!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    It IS a big deal, Brasil66!!!!!!!

When I´ve fallen into the restful mood that only the concert I´ve paid good money for can put me in, I´ll be D...d if I will accept any cellphone ringing/noising, your or any others.

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    It is not that difficult to put your cell phone on silent or vibrating...The people are just careless...My opinion.

3. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Some careless, maybe just forgetfull even... but I think some are just ignorant and could care less about the people around them... a sad reality.

4. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    yer once i was in a chapel with 200 students and the priest talking and my phone went off with the Mexican hat dance tune ROFL

5. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    there are times when a cell phone is not appropriate. when it comes to those times for me i just leave the phone in my car (be it a night at the boston symphony orchestra, at the movies, seeing a comic at the trocadero, when i'm watching 'the shield'). if it's important they'll leave a message, just like the way it was in the days of the answering machine. the importance of emergencies hasn't changed, just our increasing accesibility to said emergencies. seven years ago things could wait. they can still wait. that's my philosophy.

from the time the telephone was invented in 1876 to the turn of the century (before the mainstream use of mobile phones) things waited. nothing changed.

now before anyone jumps my $hit about emergencies and the need / use of cell phones, trust me i am probably one of the foremost supporters for the use of cell phones. i am a volunteer emt and firefighter of ten years, was involved in the rescue efforts of 9/11/2001 and am a criminal justice major.

all i am implying is that people need to use a little discretion and consideration.

6. Brasil66

Brasil66 Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2008
    Southeast
    Did Sufus actually read my reply? Try some decaf next time. :-P JC

7. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I was playing a wedding last year and the groom's cell phone went off in the middle of the ceremony. Honest! He calmly handed it back to his mother. Also, not to change the thread, but last weekend I played a wedding where the groom chewed gum through the whole service. Is there no class?

8. dabhand

dabhand New Friend

Apr 7, 2008
    Ramsgate Kent England
    Phones have to be completely turned off, full stop !!
    Otherwise you have interference with the PA or air miking or any other electrical devices used on stage.
    Every musician should know this or they would not be contracted to play again !
    Kind regards
    Keep it Professional and Considerate
    Dabhand

9. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

Toobz likes this.
  10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    One heck of a statement! In this day of cellphones, computers (you know those), email, IM, etc., the expectation for an instantaneous response has eliminated any reasonable opportunity for deliberation and contemplation. Decisions are to be made post haste and if there is not sufficient information (you know what that is) available to support taking a decision that's just too bad - you are expected to do it anyway. There is no time for thinking, so it has become obsolete. (It does take a thought to realize when the phone should be off.)

And this is the mode of operation employed by the world's leaders. Decide now - become informed later. (If that.) It's no wonder things are a mess.

I never take my phone for a walk in my woods. It just can't learn to heel. Bear goes with me - he's taught me to heel. Neither of us feels like talking, so we listen instead, for Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Wood Thrushes, and yes - veeries and a host of others who reach us w/o dialing. So much music to be heard - if you just shut up.