Embochure Change

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CalebWayne, Apr 20, 2011.

1. CalebWayne

CalebWayne Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2010
    After speaking with a band director, a trumpet professor, and my trumpet teacher, we have decided that some of my issues could be solved with an embochure change. Here's what we considered: We'd like to shift the position of the mouthpiece more toward the center of the embochure and up to where more of the upper lip is inside the mouthpiece. In other words, we're going for a more centered mouthpiece.

What is the best way to change an embochure? Is there some kind of great process to it or what?

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Stick with those closest to you.

Your band director, trumpet professor, and trumpet teacher can see your face and provide you with specific, measured feedback.

This kind of change can be very tricky so find the source that you trust and stick with it. I'd be wary of fishing for too many options from people that can't see and hear you.

Good luck.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I know of more players who have been ruined by forced embouchure changes than have been helped.

I have also found that the right daily routine helps gravitate the embouchure to where it belongs without ruining anything. Lip slurs and frequent monitoring are the keys to "non-invasive" embouchure changes.

Good luck. You are going to need it!

4. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    This is soooo true. My embrochure started off one way and completely morphed naturally into something based only on initial instruction from my teacher and the exercises I have been performing.

BrotherBACH

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I changed my embouchure a couple of times -- once I was way off center to the left, and that definitely needed correcting --- then I did the "more top" lip in the mpc.

Each time it was just that -- a change. Each time the trumpet came back "way better" as a result.

Each time - though - it was a process, that almost always sucked, and was frustrating, and at best the hardest part may have been MENTAL conditioning --- to fight through the sucky months -- to find something better in the embouchure.

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Don,t be discouraged by anybody on this forum or anywhere else. Listen to your teacher. Practice in front of a mirror, play softly while striving for a clean sound. Hang in there,it takes time.

7. Carlw

Carlw New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Toronto
    Sometimes you have to change. I had to because I was rolling too much and as I got older, my teeth changed which required a shift to the right. It's all a very personal decision.

At the end of the day, the best advice I ever heard on this topic is from a guy I know, Chase Sanborn (you may have heard of him?). He said: If it feels right and sounds right, it is.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What are the issues you are having? Many issues can be resolved with practice and minute changes as you play (you teach yourself). A radical change will take awhile to produce results. Without knowing your issues, it's really a shot in the dark as to what you should do.

9. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    @ Al Innella
    I did not mean to be discouraging. I apologize. But, I do agree that radical changes are brutal. I have done one or two. In the end, it changed to something more natural as I worked through the exercises. In line with Chase's words, when things were easy, I knew I was on the right track. When things were hard, I knew I was doing something wrong. And, right now, I am truly grateful I am not thinking about my embouchure anymore.

@Carlw
    I am a huge Chase fan. I have all of his books in all editions and multiple copies of each. "If it feels right and sounds right, it is." is most likely derived from Claude Gordon's basic approach. Listen to his 1977 ITG lecture. Jeff Purtle has an amazing website.
    Trumpet and Brass Playing Sound Files Featuring Claude Gordon and Jeff Purtle | Purtle.com

BrotherBACH

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I do intentionally discourage.

I have not had everyone as a student, but enough to be able to say that a good daily routine and monitoring allows the embouchure to shift in an evolutionary way instead of starting a revolution.

If the player has body use issues for instance (and that does include the majority of players that I have worked with), often curing that fixed what they thought was wrong. It also made them more sensitive to other things going on in their playing.

If we change the face without fixing the rest, we have few if any benefits. An embouchure change needs to be preceded by FAR MORE. This "far more" is a cognitive process. It happens to also be integrated in things that yoga or martial arts practitioners or athletes get involved with to increase competitive edge.

In the case of this player, I see little benefit at this stage as there is no info about a dedicated effort to get the rest in order first. He would have noticed!