Embochure Problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChrisDB, Jul 8, 2015.

1. ChrisDB

ChrisDB Banned

Nov 20, 2014
    I made a previous post trying to figure my problem out, but I find more descriptive ways to explain the issue for a better response.

So I have concluded it might be fatigue, but I do not know why I am starting to get tired, I have never had issues like this before.

What exactly happens is my upper lip comes down and almost 'slides' into the depth of my mouthpiece making a 'duckface' (less exaggerated) embouchure.
    I hope it is just my chops being used more than the past few days because I haven't played since I got my trumpet cleaned. I have no idea about my issues with embouchure, can anybody relate? I feel really lost and with my issue I can hardly play.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    private instructor time

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    How long a time since you had your trumpet cleaned has passed before you started playing again. How dirty was it?

Could be that you are just plain out of shape.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yep. Trying to find a diagnosis and fix like this online is like throwing darts blindfolded. Your best bet toward a solution would be to find a pro-level player in your area who teaches, and see them about it. I'm not talking about doing extended lessons either - you may find that just a few lessons would be all that is needed to diagnose the issue, and for some specific prescriptive practice habits to be employed to turn things around. One lesson probably won't be enough, but a lesson, a follow-up to make sure you are correctly doing what was prescribed, and then a third lesson to make sure that the issue is being correctly addressed and that you are moving forward would probably be sufficient. Otherwise, the chances that you are going to find success for this issue here on this board is pretty slim IMO.

5. ChrisDB

ChrisDB Banned

Nov 20, 2014
    Yeah, I think I will do that, I know some good instructors near me so I think I just have to make the call.

6. ChrisDB

ChrisDB Banned

Nov 20, 2014
    About a week and a half, I really consider the fact that my chops are crap now and it's because my lack of playing for that week. I am going to start practicing like crazy and if this issue occurs in the next few weeks, then I will make the call to an instructor. Being plain out of shape is what I am really hoping for, tutors in my area are very expensive due to the lack of music shops (especially with trumpets). But if it is my fatigue I am going to work on my chops.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've never known that a perfect embouchure can be obtained in a few weeks, and I wouldn't say any I've tutored have achieved such or that I've a perfect one myself. At best my own is doable and the least of my concern when practicing/playing. Whatever, don't expect it to be when you don't have a constant practice regimen.