embochure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetsAreFun, Oct 26, 2005.

1. TrumpetsAreFun

TrumpetsAreFun Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    California
    Hey. after playing in front of the mirror i noticed that my right corner of the lip drops down which makes my embochure kind of like this :/ and its very ugly my embochure is straight before i buzz on the horn but when i start buzzing the right corner of my lip drops. What should i do for a straight embochure

2. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Learn the correct puckering technique and I would suggest gettig an O-Ring and practising buzzing in the mirror with that. If you can see your mistakes in front of you then you will be able to correct them. Catching mistakes in the very beginning before they become habit and are incorporated into your technique is paramount. If you dont have good technique in the beginning then you will not turn into a well developed player in the future. Good luck.

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece
    Bach 1c Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

3. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    How's your tone, endurance and range? I wouldn't worry about the look at all. It's sound and capacity that counts.

Dave

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I'd go right with Dave on this. How do you sound? How is this effecting your playing?

One additional thought: if it is a problem (in terms of playing) and you decide to make a change, be sure you have the best teacher you can find to guide you. Don't worry about how it looks so much as how it sounds.

5. TrumpetsAreFun

TrumpetsAreFun Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    California
    i have a pretty good tone... my range isnt so high as i expect myself to be :cry: i can go to a G on top of the staff and as i get higher the notes crackle

6. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    I have a secret to share. Don't look in the mirror, don't think about how your lips look, feel, are placed, or whether you have the "pucker" down pat, or even where your tongue is.
    Instead, concentrate on what comes out of the bell. I'm not trying to be snotty - I mean it. It's called bel canto trumpet playing and I wish I had invented it.
    The idea is, if you concentrate real hard on making a really beautiful sound on the trumpet and on nothing else, then, everything else - and I mean EVERYthing; breathing, lip placement, trumpet position, fingering, corners, tongue, throat, diaphragm - you name it! will fall into place. The best part? You will be making a beautiful, soaring sound on the trumpet - and - that sound coming out of the end of the horn is exactly what all the fuss is about, isn't it?
    Believe me, no technique works better, gives more immediate results, and in the end is more fun.

Cheers, and good luck!

Tom