Emboshure Question!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blazing Asian, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    I have been a solid trumpet player for 5 years now and I play first part in sit down and lead in jazz. Want I want to do is broaden my range of brass instrument. I need to know if I try to learn to play these instruments (namely: French Horn, flugel horn, trombone, cornet) if my emboshure/tone or anything will hurt or damage my trumpet playing. All comments are appriciated. Thanks!:D

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The difference between trumpet,cornet and flugel is minimal. The rest will take some getting used to.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Some people can adjust to a mouthpiece change and others have trouble.

It could hurt some. The resistance and how you feel the set for each note is different so you have to remember what it is for each instrument. I would try a small change like cornet. That probably won't even be noticeable. Then move on to a bigger jump like C trumpet. Still this won't hurt anything but you will feel a change. When you go to french horn or trombone there will be a huge change but you will feel what is going on and stop if necessary.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  4. NickD

NickD Forte User

Another thought

When doubling on other horns, be careful to not let your concept of sound on TRUMPET to shade your expectations on the other horns - even C trumpet. I would treat each one as a different instrument that has a similar mouthpiece as a trumpet. For example, expecting high G's to sting as loudly as they can on a Bb would be unwise, IMHO.

FWIIW...

Nick