Embosure Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BobtheBigFoot, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Teachers and tutors, if you do not have an available visualizer, and better one for you to demonstrate the embouchure and aperture and another one for student use, IMO I'd question how you evaluate the student's mouthpiece placement. One of mine is a Kelly crystal 7C I cut myself and it works for me to SEE.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is a lot of information in the original post that indicates why this player is where he is. That is why plain and simple "standard" advice is likely to reap the most benefits here. For players that have a more intimate contact with what is going on with their bodies, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

My personal experience after 35+ years of teaching is that a solid daily routine will help the practicing player gravitate to the best position without a lot of extra "observation". No solid routine means everything is luck - good and bad. If someone REALLY practices 1-2 hours a day, "feels good" is about all the feedback that we need.

KISS is my method: Keep It Simply Simple, Kernel Implementations Stay Solid, Key Ingredients Sound Sensational, Kindergarden Is Safe Situation.

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    "KISS is my method: Keep It Simply Simple, Kernel Implementations Stay Solid, Key Ingredients Sound Sensational, Kindergarden Is Safe Situation."
    Splendid !

4. wilktone

wilktone New Friend

Jul 18, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Hi, Rowuk.

You are a lot more confident about your abilities to diagnose what is going on from a brief description then I am in mine. Personally, I feel that it's not so important what you play as a routine, but how you play that's important to focus on. I'm sure that you mean a solid routine practiced correctly is what will help, but correct embouchure form varies from player to player. "Standard" advice is all over the map, has changed over time, and sometimes is just plain wrong.

I do agree with you that it's best to keep things as simple as possible, but each step should lead to another that progresses us forwards. It won't hurt anyone's playing to learn the basics of embouchure form and function and it can definitely provide a useful tool for practice and pedagogy. While I'm not accusing anyone in this conversation, I find it disheartening that a lot of good brass players and teachers dismiss and downplay the value of embouchure observation and analysis while demonstrating a lack of understanding about what's literally right under their nose.

The original poster's teacher is in the best position to help. My dog in this race is that I simply want to bring make this information more accessible to people in a position to potentially benefit from it. Again, let me encourage everyone to take my advice with a grain of salt and decide for yourself if it applies to you and your students or not.

Dave

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I assume you mean that you mean that you haven't been to this teacher yet. Because your problems should have been addressed in the first lesson with a competent teacher. You are trying to play beyond what your embouchure has learned how to do. You need to start over and learn how to play correctly.