Embouchure: 9 part bottom for 1 part upper lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brem, Jun 16, 2009.

1. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Okay, I find if I slightly change my embouchure, which is usually 2/3rd more lower lip, to a setup closer to 9/10th more lower lip, I can play with more accuracy through the whole Low F# to High E range.

I guess, "whatever works"... but I find it odd.

You guys have any explanation for why I have more control and strength with this setup?

Am I gonna hit a wall? :)

:cool:

2. clousemiester

clousemiester Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    I also have this same situation, but by choice. I have found that the 9/10th lower lip set-up makes for easier playing. Less Pressure is reqired to make the lips seal to the mouthpiece which makes for more endurance and range easier to achieve in most all situations. When I discovered this to work for me I happily accepted the improvment, and began to notice other players that have the same type set-up.

3. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    exactly. I can play high notes with a 2/3rd setup, but the lips seal more easily with a "9/10" setup.

I'm glad I'm not the only freak here :)

Have you noticed this setup impaired further improvement or should I simply change my embouchure "forever" :)

4. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I think that is quite common! I know a lot of lead players doing this, included my self! No freak..:-)

5. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Just checkin ;)

6. clousemiester

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    I sometimes use both......Depends on the situation.

7. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I play like this too, but the problem is that my mouthpiece usually ends up in the pink of my top lip. Any tips?

8. clousemiester

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    That's the part that vibrates. Don't Damage that!!!!

That's why keeping the mouthpiece low, I Think, works so well.
    When your tired and you start to abuse your chops by pressing more the bottom lip takes the hit much easier. As long as your top tooth doesn't hurt the bottom lip.

Sometimes...if I can pull it off (practice quotient) I can use my tongue io reinforce my bottom lip.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  9. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    For reference, here's my "normal" embouchure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mkmtrumpeter

mkmtrumpeter New Friend

Jun 17, 2009
    Colorado
    I have the exact opposite problem... I play the standard ratio in exact reverse, with about 2/3 upper lip. I've never done any significant damage to my chops or any sort of muscle damage, and my range is... passable. Not great, but I've been playing for about eight years and at 19 years old, I have a LONG way to go on a lot of things. I think a lot of it has to do with your teeth, your bite, and the size/shape of your lips. I spent two years learning to play around braces, which may explain why my ratio is so odd... I guess whatever works, works! If you're not hurting yourself and you're getting the sound you want, what's to complain about? :)