Embouchure... again

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Jul 4, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I personally never look at the videos because they only display a couple of symptoms and NEVER the real problem. I do not teach online or offer "dangerous" advice to people that are not standing next to me.

The reasons for this are many, mostly that the student does not have the experience to identify the root sickness and therefore doctors around the symptoms. Even if I explain exactly what to do, I have no way of telling if the message really gets through. Progress is measured in months and years, not hours and days. Habits are built on thousands of repetitions (assuming it is being done right). Bad habits result from not knowing what you are really seeing or hearing.

There are many things that will never be "virtual".

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I share the same diagnosis as Rowuk. Do not mess with your embouchure. His advice is 100% right on!

3. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Personally, I'd suggest to definitely not force the higher notes out. That is a no-no. The higher notes will come with time. :-) For now I'd say just to focus on making the notes come out clearly with as non-forced sound as possible.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Funny enough, I really strongly disagree. Force is the number one positive factor in early development. It is the method of choice for the many years until we have the maturity to slow down and clean things up. Without pressure, there would be no decent high school or town bands or marching bands.

If we ever get to a "serious" stage, other possibilities open up and we can incorporate them according to the time available.

5. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    I think I may have phrased my response badly I'm afraid. Rowuk, you're absolutely right on this. I just meant to not have a forced tone come out, but yes by all means use air pressure! :D Sorry, for the misunderstanding.

6. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Thanks for all the useful comments!
    I've also had some pm's from some users with exercises for me and I'm already making some improvement (mainly in my sound and articulation).

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Forget about range for now. Practice the basics, long tones, lip slurs and learn your scales. Range takes time after you get the basics down. Don't mess with the embouchure. You don't really have a "problem". You just started.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  8. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Yes, that's true... But when you're a beginner and certain thinks don't go well then it's hard to know whether you're doing something totally wrong
    or if that are just the beginners mistakes.

Now I'm able to play from C->C (in the staff) in half steps up and down with a warm sound (it sounds warm to me...)
    I can also play under the staff too the F sharp (doesn't sound warm yet, but I can hit them).

But playing above the C sharp (which is still in the staff) sounds very airy and takes a lot of effort to get the tone.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You just started! You have what you have and you develop from there. Don't worry about it. Really!!! When I started back 6+ years ago, high C was not on the radar!! Today, its not a problem. Working on
    owning high G!

10. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Re: Embouchure... again (now with video)

do not change embouchure. just play where it is comfortable. for ex. frere jacques starting from low C, do not go above the staff. actually try going below the staff first

than sometime in june of 2015 try to go above the staff

paitence!