Embouchure and developing a higher range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hausabra, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Hausabra

Hausabra New Friend

Aug 26, 2012
    I'm a sophomore in high school and I'm having trouble developing an upper range of notes... I believe it may be due to an inconsistent embouchure problem. It seems like my embouchure is never the same and some days I can play high C's like it's nothing then the next have trouble hitting in A. What are exercises I can do to develop my upper range and have it be consistent? How can I make sure I use a consistent embouchure? My director also told me my upper ranger may become easier if I get more of my bottom lip in the mouthpiece because as of now my bottom lip is on the very edge of the mouthpiece and it's how I usually play. I need to work on my range because I'm lead trumpet in my school's Jazz II and I can't afford to just have bad days of playing. I need to develop my upper range and a consistent embouchure. Any advice?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This sound like your are over doing it the day before and the following day you are left with edema in your lip, which cuts off airflow and weakens the sound.

There are many, espeically those that use slurs to easukt glide your way up to an upper range.

By practicing a lot until it just feels comfortalbe

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  3. Hausabra

Hausabra New Friend

Aug 26, 2012

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The good doctor meant to say "edema" or swelling in your lips from over-playing.

You need a consistent daily practice routine. You also need to keep you're playing at school within your limits.

If you don't have one, get a private teacher, and work through this problem with him/her.

A private teacher is also the best person to evaluate your director's comment about mouthpiece placement.

Mike

5. Hausabra

Hausabra New Friend

Aug 26, 2012
    I plan on taking private lessons this summer, for band activities and school during school year don't allow me to take them. My lips do not feel swelled so do I have edema then? I have another performance Monday Night. Would not playing tomorrow help? Or should I practice only a small bit like 20 minutes and not going very high?

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Yes, after you overdo it, sometimes practicing less or taking a day off can help.

Mike

7. Hausabra

Hausabra New Friend

Aug 26, 2012
    So would you consider it safe for me to just not play tomorrow? I have to have jazz practice Monday morning before the performance so should I take it easy then? Or should I play all the parts how I do usually?

8. Hausabra

Hausabra New Friend

Aug 26, 2012
    Oh, and I was told by my marching band instructor I should use a warm wash clothe on my lips after playing, but I have read on here to ice my lips? which should I do?

9. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Or Vitamin E oil. Or lip balm. There are dozens of things you could do to accelerate the recovery of your embouchure. If you want to relax but still play your instrument, play long tones nice and low. Also do some low lip slurs going no higher than C in the staff. Play through a hymn or two and that'll be your practice session done in 20-30 minutes.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Tough love time.

The reason we have so many great trumpet players from America is because we start out with a huge number, and those who survive Marching Band and playing lead in high school and college may turn out to be decent trumpet players. Darwin at work.

Range is part of the total package. Just a part. Start going after range alone and the package suffers, and you'll end up a wanna be kicked off to the side as others pass by.

My advice? Go after the total package. Tell your director to change the book or find someone else to play lead. By working the basics and pushing (not punching) the envelope you can get yourself in shape to play lead in Jazz I. There are no shortcuts, and you can believe that everyone here at TM has looked for them. They ain't there.