Embouchure and developing a higher range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hausabra, Jan 26, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    usually a day of soft playing - and playing less like 20 minutes or so helps -- and being that you are younger than I, a day of soft playing and limited playing will help you more than a day off helps me.
    ALSO -- Yes VB is correct -- there are no shortcuts --- if there were shortcuts I would tell you. long soft tones in the staff as well as other routines will help ----- BUT IT ALL TAKES TIME!! --- now 1 year after my comeback (4 or so years ago) -- I could "hit" a double high C (octave above the high C, 2 bars above the staff) --- now 3 years after that, I can still "hit" a DHC. but I can't play there!!! -- oh, I am much better at notes around the high C,D,E, and F -- and can play limited amounts of songs there --- but this has come at a price of at least 1.5 hrs a day of practice (that is orchestrated, "thinking" practice -- not just wailing at the air, hoping it will all happen someday) ----I'm older, maybe you can achieve that sooner ----- but yeah, it takes time and it takes practice, and yeah it doesn't happen OVERNIGHT!!

2. Hausabra

Hausabra New Friend

Aug 26, 2012
    Thank you all for the advice and help. I don't think the parts are too demanding I think it may be me overdoing it or the fact that I'm in so much band activities. I'll start trying to work on the total package rather then range. The kids at my school that work only on range have developed a range, but never can play loud enough to cut through a band, and that's why I'm lead trumpet cause I project. I'm going to make sure I play this summer. I've been given some good examples, but what should I do to really improve the "Total package"?

P.s. I have never been able to use lip balm it makes my lips smooth and I can't get notes out. Is that a problem?

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No, play today, but make it a light day, about 60% of what you would play on a typical day. Stay in a comfortable rante and don't push it. Massage you lips after you play for 5-10 minutes, and again before turning in for bed.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It takes tough love to gain tough lips, and there is no one better here on TM than Vulgano Brother to give us tough love lip service!