Embouchure Change- 1 month in....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by larrygk, Aug 11, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Let me go on record that in my post I did state:
    In the special situation of the OP, he is starting back... so this would be the only time I would support that "change" as I see his situation more as starting out anew. I think to change an ongoing embouchure in mid-stream is a misguided adventure, just as you and Vulgano Brother have noted... for the record.

2. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I agree with your concerns and I strongly believe that if you are convinced or allow yourself to be convinced that you need an embouchure change then you really oew it to yourself to find a professional who specializes in such changes. Trusting that sort of thing to a "high school trumpet teacher" is sketchy and scary to me. I believe that the OP is quite fortunate in that the results are positive and that one should consider themselves lucky if the worst that happens is that they waste their time.

3. larrygk

larrygk Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Totally respect all opinions and that's why I was clear about the characteristics...not good tone, unpredictable daily results. So if the old worked to my expectations , I could have cared less where the MPC was or the ratio or how far down on the red and would not be pursuing the change. BTW- 60/40 feels good right now. But that's the least of the challenges. It's getting the muscles trained and the buzz consistent and controlled. I'm going forward. Purpose of the post was to find out other players experience as they progressed through it (or not).

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Congratulations on your progress. Whilst I understand the positions of the 'don't change' advocates, it seems that they've missed the point - you identified limitations with your embouchure and undertook a regime to change. To your question about others who've attempted changes, I decided to make changes about 2 months into a comeback. I wasn't so concerned about mpc position, more about pressure and a tenancy towards a smiley shape. I used lots of long notes send lip flexibility exercises along with a focus on maintaining my new embouchure during everyday practice and band rehearsals (the hardest part ). The results within 12 months have been way better tone and range than I ever head before a 25 year layoff. I still have to focus on air support and not resorting to using pressure particularly at the end of a long blow,
    but it's been well worth the effort.

BTW, how about you guys stop using "high school teacher" as a derogatory term? All of the high school teachers of brass that I know are professional brass musicians who happen to teach in high schools and do a great job of it. My embouchure defects that I'm now addressing came about because I was a lazy sucker ;-)

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    just my 2 cents -- I played off to the left (way off) in high school, and was limited to range and sound (as you noticed) -- I switched in the summer of my Junior year -- and sucked so bad that I sat out my Senior year as a trumpet player (for me, I would say a definite 6 months before it was coming in line, and a full year before I saw the SUCCESS of my change (a change to the middle) -----------I am always grateful that I made my change in embouchures. NOW, fast forward to 48 ish, and a comebacker for nearly 5 years now ---- I am still glad that I suffered through a year or so way back in high school to center my mpc. ------ when I started my comeback, the trumpet was frustrating in a different way than an embouchure ---------------and today range and tone, are for a matter of speaking - better than they ever have been -------------------------------- STICK WITH IT, as long as you see progress as you do, -- don't give up!!!!!!

6. larrygk

larrygk Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Being the OP, thought I might give an update on this process seeing it is 4 months from the start of the change:

1) Based on the array of comments above, everyone is right and everyone is wrong. Depends on the individual factors in making the change.
    2) It is working and working well after about 225 hours of exercises, new breathing techniques.
    3) Although there have been breakthroughs and setbacks to this (more setbacks), progressing by one chromatic step every two weeks. Currently breaking into an A/Bb above staff with confidence.
    4) Tone and volume are at least 50% better than previous embouchure.
    5) Placement happens to be dead center but that was not the objective nor was the 55/45. Just happened to come out that way. The real stuff happened based on 3 things....
    6)... breathing similar to Hatha Yoga; a significantly rolled in bottom lip; nice open mouth and teeth.
    7) A terrific coach.

It can be done and done well if needed. It was needed.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    LarryGK --- way to go and stick with the decision --- I agree with you last statement -- "it can be done and done well if needed." ---- keep at it, play and be happy!!!