Embouchure change for a student...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetband, May 5, 2004.

1. trumpetband

trumpetband New Friend

Apr 29, 2004
    North Carolina
    Hello all,

I have trumpet student who came to me with a bad embouchure. He kisses the mouthpiece therefore he uses the inside of his lips to play. As we all know this can lead to a stuffy sound with no range and no endurance.

I know this embouchure doesn't produce these effects in all cases but it is in his. I have chagned my emb. back in college with the help of my professor...I have never changed a students of my own because I start them correctly!

Any help to get him turned around would be greatly appreciated. I have told him him this would be a long process and we have started on baritone to focus attention on using the other parts of his lips.

That's where I have begun...can you help?

Eugene

2. kdawg

kdawg New Friend

Nov 19, 2003
    I've always wondered why it would be so bad to do this - there's a trumpet/f-horn player at our university who does it and he has no problems with his tone (its like butter)

now comes the fun of fixing it... what I would have him do would be to freebuzz in front of a mirror, focusing on a "rolled-in" feeling/look. I'm going to assume he's a downstreem player (if he isn't don't try this, it'll hurt more than it'll help) if he were a downstreem type player i would have him freebuzz then put the horn up to his lips while buzzing.
    other things I would try would be to have him focus on the way it feels when his embechoure is "normal" with the mouthpiece on his face, then always try to duplicate it.
    this is all off the top of my head, it'll be interesting to see what more experienced teachers say.
    Oh, and you might want to have him try some of the BE approach too, that helps focus the embechure.

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I agree, buzzing can do a lot. A clear Kelly mouthpiece can show a lot too!

I think a great way to help would be with a set of Chop-Sticks embouchure training weights. These weighted sticks have a twelve week program that trains the embouchure muscles. It will work the embouchure AWAY from the mouthpiece which is good since it is a temptation to go back to the old way.

It also has an advantage that the instructor can see the embouchure. Using these weights as stated in their manual, the the embouchure will develop nicely and correctly. I have used them personally with great success.

M&C

4. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    i have a similar query, coming "up the staff" as it were, trumpets new to me, and i've never had the issue where as i'm playing, it sounds like a lot of un-vibrated air is leaving the bell. what am i doing wrong with my embechoure that i can't get clear tones? (i do occasionally, but i can't seem to reproduce that at will. i'm still playing with my embechoure to try and find "that spot" for me)

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Just something to consider, but maybe you're in a bit over your head on this one? You've identified that an embouchure change is a huge undertaking, but something this important might be better handled by someone in person (like your professor) who has experience with things like this?

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Eugene - I hate to break it to you gently -- but all the advice in the world won't help this guy change HIS embouchure UNLESS HE SEES A REASON WHY HE SHOULD.
    I played to the side of my mouth -- I mean like the mpc on the whole left side for most of my school years. REPEATEDLY my instructors always told me I would have to change to go above a certain level. BUT in high school - I could keep up and play the music (at least at a 2nd chair level) - so why make a change???

I did center the mpc. in my senior year -- but had to drop out of band -- cause the change is a dreadfully heartwrenching thing to do ---- you go from an OK player --- to a sucky player for quite some time.

Moral of the story -- I am so glad that I made the change -- but it only came after I SAW A PURPOSE TO CHANGE in improving and continuing the trumpet.
    ken

7. Schwab

Schwab Mezzo Piano User Staff Member

Feb 26, 2004
    This thread is 6.5 YEARS OLD. I'm pretty sure Eugene isn't really looking for advice anymore.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I just clicked on the "new posts" and this came up --- but thanks for pointing out the thread is old.

at least you are better than some of the TM crowd -- who are going to point out to me that "I am bumping old threads like there's no tomorrow" or something like that--AND how I did this once before.

maybe someone knows why these threads come up as "New Posts" and how I can filter them out -- I know , just look at the dates,
    thanks, and have a great day!!!!

ps. oh I see now -- hahkeystah and gbdeamer had opened them and replied, so they appear on the "new posts" ---- and then I just go ahead and continue to add to it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Doh!

Ancient thread resurrection strikes us again...

10. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    okay, old thread, my fault. my question still stands though lol, leaky air sound? its a new yamaha, so i know it isn't the horn (i hate to blame the horn anyways, but that winston... wow)