Embouchure Change Gone Wrong

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chopshop3625, Feb 28, 2010.

1. chopshop3625

chopshop3625 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    I am a junior in highschool and am in the struggle of my life. This will be long but bare with me, I want to clear up the basics. Last year I decided a wanted to pursue a career as a performing musician. I had a lot going for me and I started taking from a very good, demanding teacher. Immediately I got great results. When summer came around he said it was time to take my playing to the next level, by "fixing" my embouchure. I had 100% faith in him, as a student should, and applied myself religiously to everything he taught me.

But here I am, 8 months later as confused as day one. Since then I have switched to a new teacher with new beliefs and I am frustrated out of my mind. I need to get my act together by the time I need to apply for college, and I'm worried.

I need help. I am looking to find someone who has been in my position. What did it take to achieve success? How did you cope with the emotional aspect? Why is it that for some, embouchure change can take weeks? what did they do right. ? My lips are more beaten up now after a 30 minute Clarke studies workout playing with literally no pressure and as softly as possible than the 4 hour practice sessions I used to do with what i admit was faulty mehanics.

I'm starting to feel that hard work, desire, determination, and perseverance achieve nothing. I've consulted many professionals. What do I do?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    What was wrong with your embouchure in the first place?

3. chopshop3625

chopshop3625 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    He wanted the horn horizontal to the floor. I played 75/25 top to botton.

4. chopshop3625

chopshop3625 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Nothing was "wrong". But I admit, I didn't have the best breathing. Also he wanted me to use tongue arch, which still eludes me today.

5. cloudnine

cloudnine Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2008
    This was absolutely terrible advice as it's just biology in different players to have a different embouchure that REQUIRES them to point the horn down towards the floor.

I hope you're not permanently set back. I suggest immediately switching back to the position that feels most comfortable. YOU'RE the one who has to play the thing - please tell me that your old "teacher" didn't think that he knew better than this guy,

YouTube - Miles davis et John Coltrane - So what

or this guy,

YouTube - LEE MORGAN - I REMEMBER CLIFFORD

or this guy.

YouTube - Maurice Andre Hummel 3.Mov.

6. JLSmith526

JLSmith526 Pianissimo User

Feb 16, 2010

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I've been though times where my chops wouldn't work, for various reasons. There's no meaningful chop advice I can give you over the internet. Try to think more about what's coming out of the horn instead of what's going in. Your ears are your best ally.

If you post your location, maybe someone here could point you to someone who could help.

8. chopshop3625

chopshop3625 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Thank you. I know I'm not the only one and I am not a quitter. That seems to be the favorite answer though- Go back to what worked or do what feels good. I can't go back now and nowhere feels right. Is feels sounds good the same as feels good? Or should I play wherever I get results even if its uncomfortable, hoping that my lips will get used to it?

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I know this sounds a bit daft and I don't want to give embouchure advice over the internet but something I find. I like my horn relatively horizontal. However as with a lot of things pushing to achieve it isn't good. (ever taken all the pace out of your golf swing to hit a "Soft" 9 iron and found it travels 20 yards more than normal) When I try to get too high (posturally) with my horn I tend to arch my back and neck a bit and there goes my breathing. Maybe just have a look at your posture and relaxation in the neck and shouder area. But to echo all of the others, without seeing you play There isn't much that can be said except to try to reassure you that with proper tution you should be able to get sorted

Keep working

Cheers

Andrew

10. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    I went through embouchure fix few moons ago, and I must tell you I was lucky. I gained half an octave in the range, I gained endurance and power.

The thing is my new embouchure felt good right from the start. it just clicked. I guess that is the most important thing, if its good from beggining that you stick with it. If its bad from beggining that gave up on that embouchure.

Maybe change the teacher too.