Embouchure Change Help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    Yes, we know all about how and when CH was built. And how many balconies Carnegie Hall has. I live in Manhattan. If you're going to pretend that you're playing in CH it's not much of a leap to pretend that the hall is higher than it is so you will stand up straight, hold the trumpet level, and blow for the last man in the last row of the last balcony.

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    OP, you might consider conversing with sethoflagos about that. He's gone through that same process and is wise enough to advise.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Tomaso, indeed I know of CH in NYC having attended a few pleasurable events in it, and in my LEO work have seen parts of NYC that you haven't and I hope never will or want to. The ceiling in Stern Auditorium was somewhere above where I sat but I wasn't looking at it. One just feels its height comparable to that of great cathedrals. You made a very good point about playing posture that applies wherever you are ... and if you have to pretend you're in Carnegie Hall or another great venue when you play ... DO IT!

FYI, and others the Carnegie Music Hall I referred to in Carnegie PA can be seen in the picture at Http://www.carnegiecarnegie.org Yes, in the website it is Carnegie twice.

4. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Man I hope you had a teacher encourage the embouchure change. I completely rebuilt my technique from the ground up under the observation and instruction of someone I trusted new what he was doing, Adam Rapa. There were some scary times in the beginning but the perceverence has paid off extremely well. If you're on a forum asking I suspect not so make a smart move and pay for lessons and a teacher somewhere. This could end well or horribly, hopefully the former!

5. gwood66

gwood66 Piano User

Dec 21, 2015
    South of Chicago
    I reviewed your original post earlier this year and can say that I used to have an embouchure similar to yours during the first few years I played. I approached my band director (tuba player) about making an embouchure change after my 9th grade year in high school. It took me the better part of the years worth of private lessons to complete the change. The "law of the farm" applies here, there are no shortcuts. As frustrating as it is now, keep at it and it will be worth it in the end.