Embouchure Change ...Oh My!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpEd, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    When you ascend into the upper notes (3rd line B to G on top of the staff), are you using more of your lip muscles or are you using your air speed? If you're using your lips to get into the upper range, that's why you run out of gas 10 - 15 minutes into your playing session. There is a definitive roll that your lips play (vibrating).

Higher notes are nothing more than faster air!
    Watch yourself play in a mirror... if you notice that you're face is tensing up, there's a REAL good chance that you're not using air - just facial muscles.

2. TrumpEd

TrumpEd Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2008
    Texas
    dhbailey Quote: And if you trust your teacher as you say you do, then you need to schedule another lesson with him and ask him for advice on how best to effect the embouchure change.

TrumpEd: Remember this became apparent one week before jury & we both agreed to not mess with anything because I could already perform the piece competently. I came home for break but my prof. did offer to help if I would come back near the school on his personal time.

Keith Fiala Quote: Higher notes are nothing more than faster air!
    Watch yourself play in a mirror... if you notice that you're face is tensing up, there's a REAL good chance that you're not using air - just facial muscles.[/quote]

TrumpEd: My prof. TOLD me to get one of those car visor mirrors and clip it on the side of my music stand. I think my air is really the problem. I'm a very 'downstream' player, teeth & jaw, (just the way God made me) & I've never used the Pivot Method. Also I don't think I arch my tongue properly ("e"?) to increase air speed enough. I'm working on it but this is a set-back you don't expect in your 3rd year. I should have never kept that 14A4a in as a crutch for so long, but man I thought I was 'good' hittin' those E's & F's!:shock: Pay attention high-school players, there's a lesson here!:-?

Wasn't John Haynie the one that did the x-ray studies of the pivot and tongue? I'd like to see that if I knew where to look.:play:

3. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I have followed Keith's method and he is exactly right. I started playing again after 35 years this past August and C above the staff now comes easily, and D and Eb are also there (with a 7C mouthpiece). I am now working to play F, but I am hammering the fundamentals in the meantime to strengthen my chops and develop more consistent wind. Each week brings improvement. Thanks Keith! :thumbsup: