Embouchure Change

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Aug 19, 2009.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I will start by explaining what I am going through.

I am on vacation!!! as such I haven't played much trumpet this past week and a half to two weeks. (I play professionally). Over the past couple months leading up to my vacation my playing was suffering. I was doing much more practicing than before in my off time (staying after work etc). I noticed that my embouchure was slipping to an older embouchure I had in high school where I played with very little upper lip. I had recently changed that over the past couple years. But it is creeping back. I was trying to change it but it was difficult

Over the past couple days I've been returning to practice to get my chops back up for work. Only THIS time I am being more conscious about my embouchure. I found that after waiting a week or so it seemed easier to get back to my normal playing embouchure.

Now my chops had a chance to rest for over a week and I find it easier. Does this make sense to anyone? Could it be because I was going full out and found it difficult to change in the heat of all the work I was doing?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Yup. When injured or overworked, our bodies will compensate--that is why people shuffle around after strokes or hip surgery. The time off gave your "good" muscles a chance to recover and the "bad" ones to atrophy.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Residual tension can twist our faces in many strange ways. Look at yourself in the mirror right after being REALLY mad at somebody. You will see wrinkles that don't normally exist. There is a message there.....................

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Sometimes when we take an extended break and then come back , we're more aware of what we're doing, also if you were having a problem with the mouthpiece slipping before your vacation , it was probably slowly happening for a while before you noticed it , which made it harder to correct.

5. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Too much pressure to play well- I used to have an embouchure problem, but unlike you, I played with two much upper lip. Of course, I've never been in as much pressure as you have, but for some time after I changed my embouchure, I found myself switching. It's been a while now since the bad embouchure has crept back, but I can certainly imagine that with as much playing as you do, the bad habit could surface.