Embouchure Change

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by erd402, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If two teachers are telling you,you need a change,do it.Don't let people on the internet who have never seen,or heard you dissuade you from doing so. Like I said before, I changed my mouthpiece placement from low to high,and it was one of the best things I could have done for my tone and endurance. Then when I kicked my jaw forward I gained more than an octave on my range. All this happened because of change.

2. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    So today I was at a jazz band festival. Our closing song was April in Paris. I played the solo in which was very similar to the Count Basie recording. The solo went well until about the last three bars (nerves kicked in late) and at the the end of the song I went up to a high D. I had a good tone throughout the entire register and good flexibility, so now I'm second-guessing whether I should go through the change. Last night I read through the sections of Roger Ingram's book on aperture and embouchure and how many people play with a wide, open aperture. Is there any problem at all with playing that way? It's late now, so I'll post pictures tomorrow. I'll be going down to Alderson Broaddus College at the end of April for an annual brass festival they do. I'll see my hopefully future trumpet teacher there so I could always wait until then and have him look at it.

3. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    Just thought I'd let everyone know what I decided to do. I was talking to Greg Wing and sent him some photos and videos and explained all of my thoughts and concerns to him. His response was that I'm putting way to much thought into it. If I don't go through the change and keep questioning whether I should have, or vice versa, I'll just be hindering my ability to progress by focusing on what could have been instead of what it is and will be. His advice was to listen to what my private teacher says and go through the change since he knows my playing and my problems better than anyone. I've switched down to lower parts in concert and jazz band so that I have no pressure to be playing at any level in any time frame, and I've decided to track my progress by recording a video each week and writing down what I've been working on. Today was my first official day of the change. I spent about 1-1.5 hours today playing nothing but lots of low C's trying to find the most comfortable and easy way to produce a tone, no matter how ugly the sound. Anyway, I don't want anyone to think I ignored all the advice I received. I just decided that getting the same advice from my current private teacher and my top two potential future teachers was a sign that I should probably listen to them. I really appreciate all the advice you guys gave me,and the fact that you've all put up with me this long. :D