Embouchure change?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hoss4476, Jan 11, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I did not stumble so much, I had Mick Dennison from University of Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, then the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra's principle trumpet player, Eugene Blee teach me technique that is unsuppressed help initially guide the way. Then Claudio Roditi became my teacher when I moved to NYC during the time he was serving as an understudy to Dizzy teach me how to find my voice. THAT was my goal... and my open embouchure was not a problem for them.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I mean my lips ARE open. I don't buzz. I pppwooo. Totally open. Give it a try. It is literally mind blowing. Buzzing is so over rated.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    At my age, I am just looking for ANY gratification...

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Hoss,
    A guy named rowuk has commented on your performance. Although he's often rough and to the point (due to a possible lack of fiber in his diet), I've yet to see him give faulty or bad advice. You'll do well to print out his suggestions and work on it.
    Dr.Mark

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Well this takes things into a new dimension! Seems to infer you're blowing a lot of inefficient air, which I'm sure means I'm misunderstanding it. Any chance of a clarification - preferably something that avoids metaphysics ;-)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually I am diabetic and fiber is a BIG part of my diet. I wasn't sweet even before I cut down massively on sugar. My personal stand is that trumpet playin ain't no beauty contest. There are tough decisions to be made that affect every aspect of our life in front of and behind the horn. Life is too short for cheap advice.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Have you heard me play? Let me send you an Eddie Brookshire Quintet set list of songs for a four hour gig... If you can last it out... then we meet and duel at 20 paces. I give you a handicap and I will wear a hearing aid so I can catch what you are playing. I doubt there are many here that can come close to the efficiency I can master with this pppwooo method.

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    It was a serious question, Gary, not a wind up. I have heard you play, and I'm under no illusions as to our relative levels of skill. I'm genuinely interested in trying to understand your posting.

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    My embouchure has been changing by little bits as I work on the soft playing and lip slurs to make the Giardinelli 10C do its best for me. I also think this is the best way to acclimate to a new horn, which is why I've been using my practice time with my newly-restored Conn 12-B Coprion softly and slurry in preparation for rehearsals for spring concert. I mainly use Cichowicz long tone studies and Bai Lin lip flexibilities for this purpose.

I have had the opportunity to meet Rowuk and hear him play my horns (quite well), if my endorsement means anything.

Tom

Sethoflagos likes this.
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    We have an array of muscles that control the orbicularis muscle. As the video below shows, some open this muscle and some close it. With buzzing you override the superior dilator muscles with the more lateral strap of dilator muscle to close the lip into a buzz. That is one band on each side. I use the dilator muscles (the set of three) that attach more superior onto the zygomatic arch. Thee muscles = less fatigue (energy shared) and more opening capacity for the soft lip tissue. Again this is done with the pppwooo command. Now after saying pppwooo, but your mouthpiece to your lips and blow. What has happened is you get more internal vibration (less thick lip that would otherwise be trapped into the cup with the buzz technique. This give you a freer control of the air flow through the mouth piece (what I call more open), and more muscle (three straps compared to one used for buzzing) to use in tensing the orbicularis to allow the more inner soft tissue of the lip to vibrate with the energy more distributed so fatigue is delayed over the buzzing technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CWYAw5gsdY

Does this effect your sound? You bet cha. People here on TM have commented on hearing my videos or audio clips that my sound is more open, relaxed and less harsh in attack then most trumpet players and how do I do this? Well this is how. This is one of the factors that contribute to my unique "voice". That and the lines I like to use that I studied more from sax than from trumpet players. This is also THE factor that lets me outlast the Eddie Brookshire rhythm section through a four hour gig.

Sethoflagos likes this.