Embouchure change?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hoss4476, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I'm not going to pretend I understand all this at the moment - need a couple of weeks to digest it. But since normal tonguing has been upsetting my rather delicate new set up, I've been articulating mainly with something approximating to a 'pppwooo', hence my interest. Probably coincidental. Many thanks anyway.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No, I believe the pppwooo will free up your tongue. So if you are pppwoooing... lets forget the duel, and just call it a drawl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikssfUhAlgg

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    ....or a trawl (in the standard fishy TM sense)

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That guy had the carp knocked out of him..

[Oh boy, here come the fish puns again!]

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I knew it haddock 'atch

6. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    You learned what Pops is teaching long ago. At your level, I'd expect you'd do better discussing approaches to jazz with composers and innovative soloists.

7. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    Pops describes what you are saying as buzzing inside the aperture tunnel. It is something he has taught for some time because it adds more resonance to one's sound.

It sounds like your open lips are being blown closed as you push your lips into the mouthpiece. I would not call that an open embouchure. Though it's hard to tell without watching you play, it sounds like a pucker type embouchure--which is what I do now. I have to be careful not to over do the pucker because I will spread my chops. When my chops are spread, bad things happen.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No, if using the upper diagonal muscles correctly the lips are placed onto the mouthpiece. Into the mouthpiece is the best placement for buzzing. The orbicularis muscle is lift upwards by the top three diagonals. This really opens the opicularis over any other coordinated muscle action. Trust me this is an open embouchure.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not really, more of a puffing embouchure... check out this video and you will see this in the side angle shots.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XyBZDuOoYs

10. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    I watched the whole video and I enjoyed the tune and your playing. The video isn't as clear as I would like, but it looks to me like you are staring with your lips on the MP as you say, then it looks like you are pushing them into the cup, especially as you ascend--which is what I expect.

Regardless of how you describe it, it works for you and the visualization you use works for you and others. My visualization of a more closed setting works for me and others, but it's up to each person to find their own way. I think the OP would benefit from a slightly more closed setting at this point in his playing, as I did.

BTW, there is NO chance a USAF pilot is going to willingly agree with an MD...................... :D