Embouchure Changes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rockwell, Oct 25, 2012.

1. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Wondering if I should change my embouchure by pulling the corners of my mouth down in a mild frown. Having a bit of endurance trouble with pulling my mouth corners sort of straight (horizontally) in. In looking at pros while playing, e.g., Marsalis, many appear to be pulling the corners down. Some pros don't even look like they use any mouth corner moving muscles, e.g. Herb Alpert and Alison Balsom.

I welcome your comments and experiences.

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Get a teacher, let them help decide what is right for you.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    1 - Endurance is a function of practice regardless of embouchure type. PRACTICING long tones and arpeggios go a long way in helping endurance.

2 - If endurance is the only reason to change, then I say no.

3 - If you insist on a change, as Datrump mentioned, you need a qualified teacher to help you get through the process.

4 - The embouchure you should look at is yours.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    IMO the more relaxed you can play the longer and more efficiently you can play, there should only enough tension in the chops to maintain the aperture correctly for each pitch and sound level. Using muscle tension anywhere not activly forming the aperture is counter productive and only leades to fatigue.

My 2 cents.

Regards, Stuart.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No don't do it... The worse of all possible outcomes will befall you... It will look like you do not enjoy playing the trumpet... So don't do this!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't pull... relax... and yes if you can, a teacher could help you much, and make you smile once again!

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Evolution is usually much more effective than revolution.