Embouchure Design

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HookedOnFonix, Dec 5, 2004.

1. HookedOnFonix

HookedOnFonix New Friend

Dec 5, 2004
    I know Nick Drozdoff posts here and I'd like to get a copy of his book Embouchure Design but I cant find any working links to get it anywhere. Is it still avialible? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. TrumpetEnthusiast1

TrumpetEnthusiast1 New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    Chicago
    You could e-mail him.

3. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Nick posts here, maybe he'll see this and respond. Tell us what you think of it when you get it!

4. NickD

NickD Forte User

Oops!

Well, I thought I posted a response, but I think I sent a PM instead.

Sorry.

I have sold my last copy of E.D. I only have the Ampcast audio files available (http://www.ampcast.com/NickDrozdoff). They're somewhere around 50 or 60 down the list. The streaming files are free, of course, in spite of the PPD function.

I am not planning on any more reprints of Embouchure Design. I feel that it needs to be completely re-written. Also, I am doing some different things now. In any case, I need to put out something totally new. I am in the process of thinking that all through.

I apologize for the slow response here. I saw this and sent a reply, but I think I must have sent a private message as my response doesn't appear here.

Peace.

Nick Drozdoff

5. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Thanks for posting Nick. How about a DVD? Maybe a play along routine on DVD?

6. Hiwiller

Hiwiller New Friend

Dec 29, 2004
    near Cleveland, OH, USA
    Nick,

Great stuff on ampcast. I'm very amazed at your technique and sound.

I have a question. How the heck does one get the hang of those 'false' scales. For the life of me, I can't help but jump to the next harmonic when trying to do this... Some fingerings seem a bit easier but overall I'm stumped... :dontknow:

Doug.

7. NickD

NickD Forte User

False scales....

The false scales are a minimum mouthpiece pressure exercise. When I play theses things, I am barely touching the mouthpiece to my lips. For all practical purposes, it feels like free-buzzing, but just with the mouthpiece acting as funnel into which I am pouring the sound. Now this is for the non-resonant notes. On the resonant notes, I let them pop out normally, but when I do I am using a very light pressure, barely a seal. The sound is hot and very easy to produce (on the resonant notes), but they allow a lot of air to move through, as opposed to the non-resonant notes, which offer more resistance. These take patience and a real Zen-like detachment; i.e., you can't mind sounding just awful for a few minutes of your practice session. For me, this isn't a problem! Most of my practice sessions can sound pretty frightening to the uninitiated! I'd rather stink up the practice room than the stage! ;-)

Peace.

ND

8. Hiwiller

Hiwiller New Friend

Dec 29, 2004
    near Cleveland, OH, USA
    Re: False scales....

I hope that someday my practice sessions can sound as awful as yours! :lol:

Thanks for the reply!

Cheers!