embouchure developement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldlou, Jul 6, 2010.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    With my age related progressive debility keeping me from being able to perform much of the house and yard maintenance I have started to spend a much greater amount of time with a mouthpiece against my face. With this greater amount of chop developement has come all of the advantages that I knew would be there, but, what is surprising to me is that with greater lip strength I also find that I am playing with much less mouthpiece pressure. Of course, my range and control have drastically improved, along with more precise tongue and finger control. My wish is that I could regain the strength and control of my legs and feet. OLD AGE AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OLDLOU>>

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Congrats!

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Old Lou,

100% = old age ain't for sissies! Had to hire lawn maintenance and other tasks I have the ability but not present capability to accomplish. Too, need maximum repair now of this body of mine, and that ain't for "sissies" to confront.

Ed Lee

4. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    That's an unfortunate tradeoff. It sort of makes you think twice about saying stuff like, "I'd give anything to, . . . ".

Lou, live in the present and focus on the positives of improved trumpet playing.

Best,
    Tom

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you finger through the tougher stuff without blowing on the horn, your technique gets better too.

Some older people that I have taught play better after a bath, shower or massage. Their body use was better due to the more "relaxed" state.

Most important is the rewards that we plan for (not only trumpet) goals accomplished. We really have to do nice things for ourselves when we behave. It reinforces the good and gives us additional motivation to keep moving.

My dads sense of balance (after a stroke) really limits his ability to walk. He goes to the gym a couple times a week and is hell on wheels with the exercize bike though. Going out to dinner with my stepmom afterwards is a real reward for a job well done, even if his balance didn't improve.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Robin, have you thought it might be the wine? :huh:

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is a lot to be said for ONE glass of fine (red)wine regularly. There are oxidants that our body needs, an explosion of taste that can be truly inspirational, a bit of alcohol to help with the digestion, flavinoids,resveratrol, quercetin, wine dilates the small blood vessels and helps to prevent angina and clotting. The alcohol in wine additionally helps balance cholesterol towards the good type.

The keys to the beneficial aspects of wine drinking are like playing high notes: regularity and moderation.

Yes, the wine is an important factor!

8. Lupis

Lupis New Friend

Jan 30, 2010
    Mid-MI
    What was your range then, and now?

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    The C above the staff to the F above that.

OLDLOU>>

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hmmm, playing "The Last Post" would have been a bitch with your range limited like that. ;-)