Embouchure for High Lip Center Line

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Sep 13, 2015.

1. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    My lip center line (where my lips naturally meet) is on where my upper teeth is. Therefore, when I try to make the typical trumpet embouchure by keeping the center line between my upper and lower teeth, I feel like I would put myself into a counter-productive scenario. So, my question is, what approach works best with those with high lip center lines?

2. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    Put the mouthpiece in the spot that gives you the best sound and the most resonance. Don't analyze - listen . . . and feel.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I have one. Had some of the best try to swap me over the years. Didn't work. Combination of teeth and muscle structure. Has greatly limited my range so have just had to realize I'd never be a lead player. (What happens with one may not be the case with another). Still, greatly enjoy playing. Best thing you can do is get with a good teacher for advice.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The correct scenario is to not look at yourself in the mirror and play lots of soft longtones and lipslurs. Then your embouchure gravitates to the optimal position. Don't forget breathing and high quality body use either.

A screwed up embouchure is just dangerous for a player with no plan in the practice room. Using our brains to make every note important helps common sense win.