embouchure help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Feb 9, 2009.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    well... first off, ill start by saying that last thursday i did a pep band game, then friday another, then saturday, i got my new arban so i played as much as my chops would allow... and sunday played some more in the band im in... Im not sure, but when i play anything above an a on the staff, i frack like crazy, my top lip seems to slip and become weird and loose... an e on the staf is as high as i can play and hold, any thing above taht comes out as a screeching hideous sound... im not sure what is going on and i dont know how to fix it, any help???

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

It sounds like you played too much
    your lips need a break, just like all other muscles do when you work them out
    Give them a couple of days off and you should be fine if you've put the work in
    (aka practice regularly)

3. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    thats what ithought too... thanks

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

No worries
    it happens to all of us sometimes

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If it continues get to a good competent teacher and work with them.

6. harryharris

harryharris New Friend

Dec 4, 2008
    south wales uk
    seems like you are trying to run a marathon every day, it wont work, you need to rest your chops.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No routine, no stability. If you beat yourself up, there should be no surprises. I would not lay off at all. I would play long tones very softly, some EASY slurs and some easy tunes in the staff. All VERY low pressure. No high notes. This is useful to massage yourself back into a common sense way of playing.

You need to turn your brain on before inserting the mouthpiece. Do not let testosterone govern the output.

I can't ever remember a young lady posting anything like this here at TM. Maybe we can all learn something from that.

8. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Sounds like a lack of warm up or prep time before you start playing. It's one thing to play a lot every day, but it's completely something else to just play with no thought for warm up.

I had similar problems to this back in the day... and wrote about it.

Check out Welcome to Brass Player Solution

K

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Take a day off then practice soft long tones and lip slurs using no arm pressure , never practice until your lips are exhausted it only develops bad habits by forcing the notes.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Igt,
    Markie here, When you're sound starts to suck, stop playing. You've reached a point of diminishing returns. There's a good chance you'll do damage if you continue. Remember, its flesh againt metal.
    How to fix it. Of course its impossible for anybody to tell you succinctly whats going on without seeing you play. However, my experience with students that would start cracking in the upper register seemed to be a combination of things.
    weak embrochure, too much pressure and playing too long. Try to organize your daily routine so you cover all the aspects of playing without killing your lip.
    I suggest checking out four sites:
    1) When Your Chops Are Shot by Fred Shuster Downbeat Magazine
    2) Why Warm Up? by Carl "Doc" Severinsen
    3) The Marsalis Recommended Recipe for Daily Practice
    and if you can find it, an article( the name of the title I can't remember)
    4)by Vince DiMartino that discusses effective and efficient air usage
    Good Luck