Embouchure Loss

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tjm127, Jan 23, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    tjm127 -- most people have their own idea of where the mpc should be placed -- you will get a lot of answers. I use mostly upper lip (1/3 of it anyhow, 2/3 bottom lip) and the lower lip is just support. NOTE: I have an Asymmetric mpc which has a huge bottom rim, and I am old (45) so it supports my bottom lip well and allows the top to vibrate.
    YOU - are going to have to decide what it is you want to play and at what level -- I changed my embouchure several times (once because I played to the side, the next because I played low like you) ---- and each time it was a frustrating YEAR to change, but it was always worth it in range, and sound quality.
    WOW! - you cheated by getting frustrated -- and adjusted your embouchure --- I mean, I told you so in a post before. ---- I am not saying that to be rude, but rather this is how we learn, by listening to others -- your instructor probably can "see" more than us on the net, so you are going to have to listen to him, and determine for yourself what works.
    BUT MOST EVERYONE -- even on the net where we can't see you had similiar advice --- to rest!!!!!
    I think you will be alright -- I think even if you decide to stay with the embouchure ---- "you can manage it", or you can change it, and the end result will be -- YOU ARE A TRUMPET PLAYER - so adapt, play, have fun, and share the good times as well as the frustrating times to help others -- what could be better?????

2. tjm127

tjm127 New Friend

Jan 22, 2011
    King - I never realized I was shifting my embouchure when it was happening haha. It just kind of happened, and it was happening before I had any major problems. I wasn't ignoring your advice, promise! I AM going to take a good week off, though, for sure. Then I guess I'll have to reevaluate.

And trust me, I plan on playing, having fun, and sharing. You all on this forum have been of tremendous assistance.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    When I was 17, because of an injury to my top lip ,I had to move my mouthpiece from a low setting to a higher one. It took a couple of months to get used to, but once I was comfortable with the change ,I had more sound,endurance and range than before the change. This was in 1967, and I am still going strong. So my advice is to give the change a chance.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    don't worry - I wasn't being offensive or poking fun at you -- I was trying to point out that when we get frustrated, then our minds and body don't see things realistically, and we don't comprehend the small little "adjustments" we make to offset what isn't working.
    I was just saying that is how we learn. It happens to all of us here on Trumpetmaster, but like you say - NOW you can share that "frustration" with others, and help them -----AND personally I think that is a very valuable thing to "see", and actually glad I could offer some assistance along with the others here.

5. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    tjm: A unique opportunity to develop with the lip placement change. You are still young and the 90 days is not that long, especially compared to the duration of a professional career.

One other thought, to what players are you listening? Can you sing or whistle what you want to play? What sound do you want? These are all issues that you can pay attention to now, while your recover. Work on the musicianship, and listen/watch players that perform classical works. See their physical bearing and compare it with yours.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would listen to you teacher. I had a similar placement issue 7 years ago, though not as drastic. I was 30/70 top bottom and was told the same thing could happen. Yeah I lost some range for awhile but thats what practice is for. Glad you found out.

7. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    You might want to seek out a teacher familiar with Reinhardt's Pivot System. They follow very specific rules according to your jaw, teeth and lip formation regarding embouchure placement and movement. No experimenting. I would have a consultation before I did anything with my embouchure. You might only need rest, so be careful. If your teacher is not an expert in how the embouchure works (there aren't many), I wouldn't change anything. Go to trumpetherald.com . There is a Reinhardt forum, and they could tell you where to find a teacher.