Embouchure / Mouthpiece Placement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ric232, Nov 23, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How far into your routine do you consider to be warmed up? Some poster quite some time ago said he warmed up for 45 minutes!! That's a decent practice session! :lol: Usually, as your lips fatigue your tone can get darker. so what is warmed up? I would go with what gives you the best tone to start out. I can play with several different placements but not all sound good. I can play two trumpets at once. Obviously I'm not "centered" when I do this.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    good!!!!!!!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know... is still goes to finding the the most comfortable mouthpiece. Perhaps if you try out others you might add a change in mpc in your plans. Your placement should be determined by the mouthpiece that gives you the most comfort in rim size, cup size and depth. That comfort zone will best direct the direction of your airflow. Do consider a change and do not wrestle with the piece you are currently using.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Asymmetric ---- yeah, then you won't have to worry about the mpc being exactly centered ----------ROFL ROFL ROFL, find a good spot on your lips and put the mpc there!!! -------Analysis by paralysis, or something like that --- if you over think playing the trumpet you will never end up playing it -----cause you will end up playing the drums, cause it is less stressful on your lips ROFL ROFL ROFL
    that is why I quoted GM here --- just listen to that guy, and take 2 aspirins and call him in the morning ((((disclaimer, I am not a doctor, but you also must be over 16 years of age for the aspirin meds, otherwise you could be subject to Reyes' syndrome or something like that ))))

5. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    No, this is not a case of analysis paralysis. These two mpc placements feel and perform quite differently for me, despite the fact that the difference in physical placement is almost imperceptible to an observer. I spend a lot of time practicing and I don't analyze any other aspect of my playing. I tried a few mpc's over the last 3 yrs but I keep coming back to my 28 yr old Bach 3c. I may experiment some more with mouthpieces next year, but only to find a better sound, not better performance.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Stick with the 3C and work on your sound. Arturo uses a 3C because that's what he had as a kid. He didn't have the luxury of going to the Havanna Music Emporium and trying dozens of pieces. Practice (when practiced) always works!

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think YOU already have YOUR answer -- dont' YOU????

8. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    It seems nonsensical to stick with an MP that is not working for you, yet it is equally so to chase your tail in search of a different MP as a panacea. However, in really practical terms, I suffer from what you are describing when I carry something heavy with a thin strap - I have to constantly rearrange, shift, so pressure isn't on one spot too long. After shifting the weight, I perceive the lack of discomfort as renewed strength. Is your endurance increasing or are you just on a 'fresh piece of lip' when you shift? Perhaps a flatter rim/less of a bite might help your endurance and allow you to remain in one position the entire time?

Don't be narrow-minded about your current MP which served you well many years ago in HS... have you tried to fit into any of your other HS posessions lately? I look at it this way - I'm 54; I need a softer cushion for membranes at both ends these days.

9. Hornhead

Hornhead Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2008
    Washington
    Provided you are practicing correctly!

Otherwise, can get you extremely good at playing incorrectly!:-o

IMHO this entire thread is silly! Tthe OP has a teacher:dontknow:
    who can see and hear and assess him in person!

For godsake, it's the internet!:think:

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    True!