Embouchure / Mouthpiece Placement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ric232, Nov 23, 2012.

1. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Mouthpiece placement is very individual. It’s the one thing a teacher can not tell you how to do because everybody’s oral cavity is different. People that play well, have their endurance, flexibility, range, etc… is because they have found their “Sweet Spot”. Everyone has one, it’s a matter of becoming very intimate with your mouthpiece placement and finding it. WAY more intimate than your thinking right now. Your sweet spot is the placement that does not interrupt air flow and allows it to flow with no eddy currents being created in your mouth. There are other factors such as stance, upper body relaxation, compression, etc… but I’m only talking about your sweet spot because this is what I think you are talking about in your post, mouthpiece placement. When you get on it everything will start to snap in place for you, you’ll notice improvement, sound, and all the above mentioned characteristics moving forward and up. This is not easy, and takes time, patience and a smart approach to your horn. For instance my sweet spot is centering the piece on my chops and then moving the horn slightly down and left to a lazy 7 O’clock position. It DOESN’T MATTER what mouthpiece I use this is my sweet spot, and it’s a very small area, not much room for movement, but when I’m there it’s a feeling I have a hard time describing. My whole head vibrates, the horn vibrates, my sound is huge and I think of my sound way out past the bell and I describe my sound as Laser because that’s how it feels. When I’m not on my sweet spot it’s just plane old hard work : ) Play the trumpet with your BRAIN not your Brawn....Hope this helps ! :-)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    But the fact that you are changing positions means that you're not entirely happy with your mpc.

3. Hornhead

Hornhead Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2008
    Washington
    What I was saying is the teacher is in a much better position to help (Seeing the player is important) than a bunch of (non-seeing) strangers on the internet!

Yes, most disciplines require a fair amount of self discovery!

4. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    I don't agree. It merely means that I've discovered two slightly different positions each of which have unique benefits and drawbacks. On the whole, neither performs better than the other, but I suspect one of them will work better in the long run. I just don't know which. No other position works nearly as well as these two.

Sounds like JNINWI understands what I'm getting at.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That's EXACTLY what I was trying to tell the OP but he does not seem to want to buy this line of reasoning. I am with you. He has not found the right mouthpiece, but I refuse to continue to beat a dead horse.

6. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky

7. Hornhead

Hornhead Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2008
    Washington

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  8. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    So you are going to tell me that if I started with a post that said "You know, I think I would be a much better player if I could just find the perfect mpc" you would have said something other than "It's not the mpc, it's you. You need to practice more?"

tobylou8 likes this.
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's exactly what would have been said!!! ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

10. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky