Embouchure Overuse Syndrome (to Rowuk)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cvayda, Sep 7, 2014.

1. cvayda

cvayda Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2008
    I guess it is and I've tried others (like Schilke) but like the guy in the store said "...we don't got anything like this". The confortable feel of the rim was hard to match and I didn't want to introduce another variable and open a new can of worms by trying something radically different.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Have you been playing the 17s for fifteen years? How long, then? I'm sure that "subtle bad habits" played a part, but the mouthpiece, any mouthpiece, is a variable, and worthy of consideration.

3. cvayda

cvayda Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2008
    Since 1998

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    You've not said anything about the wear on your mouthpiece, but is it possible that the work done on it has led to more lip contact with the substrate and an allergic sensitisation? This might explain the lip inflammation. Once these reactions start, I understand they can be quite persistent and still flare up even on quite low exposures, so even a duplicate piece may not help much.

5. cvayda

cvayda Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2008
    So I'm going with some general advice and taking some time off.
    It's FRI and the last time I played was last SUN.
    What is the consensus regarding time off in the case of swelling?
    Take a full week or 2??
    What do I play when I re-start as far as exercises, etc? Long tones?

6. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I would assume you need to wait until the swelling has gone down/away.
    As far as starting to play again (just my experience), I would avoid busting it hard right away. Focus on long tones, lip slurs, scales and intervals for a day or so.

7. cvayda

cvayda Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2008
    That being the case, I would've re-started playing on MON !!!
    The small swelling on the lower lip subsides within 10-15 mins after I stop playing.
    It is not dramtic swelling - just enough to interfere with BUZZ, control, endurance, range and resulting in AIR BALLS.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmm, has anything else in your life changed? Sounds weird. Diet? Relationships? Medical condition known/unknown? Could be a freaky coincidence? IDK. hope you figure it out!

9. cvayda

cvayda Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2008
    No diet or medical stuff but now that you mention it, it's these damn relationships and women in my life :-) They are nothing but trouble !!