Embouchure : playing with open mouth ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Hi !
    I'm a beginner, I try to play the cornet and looking for the best embouchure that can work for me.
    I noticed that it was easier to play the cornet when my mouth was open, the sound is rounder and less airy.
    Who does this too ? I saw that Don Cherry used to do it too.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    More open means more air simples, having said that without actually seeing your embouchure even the best of us can only generalize.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    When you say 'open', how open are we talking? Can you measure the gap between your teeth (I know it's difficult but it can be done)?

4. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    I've got very long teeth.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It will be interesting what recommendations are made without ever having seen Lionel play. It will also be interesting to note how many that are having problems themselves will be really free with suggestions/advice.

Lionel,

my advice to you is to find a trumpet player that you consider successful and play for them. There is no guarantee that they are doing everything right, but over the internet shooting craps has far lower odds..........

Embouchure is not something to "teach". It is something to "experience". It is not a "static thing", rather the result of many body factors like breathing, posture, hearing, tongue position, teeth formation, mother language, etc. It is unbelievable how much crap is spread thickly on the internet. Even catching a cold makes many players change their embouchures. Expect confusion not help.

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    That is a great post Robin

I will only claim to have genuinely helped one person on here and that was after seeing a few you tube clips, I ialmost nstantly was able to see his issue and and give some advice but without those all important visuals I would be very wary.

if I may be annecdotal, I took my grade 5 after a heavy cold and was still not breathing properly. Result I took, grade 5 with way too much mouthpiece mouthpiece pressure and tension, just to get through it. I got a huge distinction but am now still struggling with the results of using excess pressure

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    You forgot the "tchk".

8. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    If I close my mouth, my lips can touch the throat and no air goes into the cornet, it can come from the pressure, but I'm not sure, when my lips are warm they become bigger. Opening my mouth is difficult but when I can, the sound can be "nice" and "warm" that's subjective of course.

Hey ! I've got some good news ! My wife can stand the cornet now !

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I think I need a refresher course on anatomy. :D

@rowuk - good thoughts.

10. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    I can lick my eye too.