Embouchure : playing with open mouth ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Jan 25, 2014.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Many many nano seconds ago I tried practicing with a small square of rubber eraser held between my molars to see if I could keep my teeth open an not restrict the airflow - result - I have absolutely no idea if there was any difference, and I couldn't hear any change. But that was only me, and I may not have had a problem to start with. Wilmer Wise once posted to me "You are over analysing ...", have you considered that you MAY be doing the same?

2. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    When I was talking about the mouth, I wasn't talking about the jaw, but the lips, I let 2 mm of space between the lips and it's easier.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  4. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    The saxophone made my lips very strong, I've got to relax them when I'm playing the cornet.
    Thanks.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Gives a whole new meaning to the term - eye tooth.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As Rowuk said it is hard to understand how to respond without seeing you play, but you do ask "Who does this too"? I do open my embouchure to get a darker, rounder sound by dropping my lower jaw. But I only do this for technical moments when I want to embellish the note(s) during the time I want to achieve this effect. I do not keep this embouchure for the remainder of the song, as I prefer playing with my original open embouchure by using the muscles of my upper face (in the other direction).

But if I want to keep the dark, round sound going for the entire song, I just choose to use my flugelhorn.

7. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Compared to your other videos, this is more in tune and I do like the tone better. Still over blowing a bit, but when you relax, man it sounds good. Once you got the embouchure that you like down, work on toning those muscles, then relax the air flow a bit as you should not need as much air to vibrate tissue once you have the embouchure muscle working for you.

9. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Absolutely check out Greg Spence's free internet videos. There you will find your answers. Yes there is a different between how open mouth is and how open your aperture is.

My free advice FWIW echos others... for now go with the biggest, sweetest sound you can make . Remember that set and go from there. You will find your way as long as you follow the basics - again outlined by Greg Spence. Good luck and remember HAVE FUN.