Embouchure position

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ecocat, Sep 15, 2009.

1. ecocat

ecocat New Friend

Jul 21, 2009
    How important is the position of the embouchure? This one must be centred or can be towards a side?

I always have had it towards the left side but I have noticed the a bit dirty sound, now I am trying to have it centered. But I have to re-educate the lip

Some recommendation?

Thank you very much! :play:

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If you search the forum, you will find many threads on this very topic. Read them thoroughly. But, in summary you will find that the recommendations are this:
    (1) There is no inherent problem with the mouthpiece being off to the side - many great players do it this way.
    (2) Only change to correct a specific problem which cannot be fixed any other way.
    (3) Do a lot of research with a competent instructor in order to determine if your problems can be fixed without an embouchure change. If you can't find an instructor, there are instructors on this forum who can do an assessment online using a webcam, if you have one. There is a charge for these lessons. If that is not possible, at least have another player listen to you play (it sounds different to the player than to a listener) and look at your embouchure. That may point out something that you are doing wrong from habit that can be changed.
    (4) Practice, Practice, Practice! That is the only real way to improve - just be sure that you are practicing the correct way.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are as many recommendations as there are trumpet players. Your face is different than everybody elses and that means your mouthpiece position will also be. The general rule is that the red belongs inside the cup. Exceptions prove the rule.

I played to right side for 20 years. Then my embouchure wandered to more or less the middle without me doing anything conciously except playing lots of long tones and slurs. There was no "embouchure change" effort, just practicing stuff that was good for me.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  4. ecocat

ecocat New Friend

Jul 21, 2009
    ok, i'm working it !!

thanks !

PD: what's slur in spanish ?

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It depends...........
    el lazo
    Mancha

6. ecocat

ecocat New Friend

Jul 21, 2009
    slur = tie ?

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    El sluro

8. ecocat

ecocat New Friend

Jul 21, 2009
    this is a slur ?

[​IMG]

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    rofl rofl rofl

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    your dirty sound is coming from playing incorectly or infrequently. not the position on the lips. If it continues, you should have a good teacher look at you.