Embouchure problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ScreaminRaider, May 25, 2005.

1. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    ML

I was playing the 2nd movt of the Haydn for an audition last week, and I was having what I thought was some general air usage problems. Well, the teahcer I was auditioning for noticed that when I played, a very small hole opened up at the top of my embouchure. This is new to me. I have never really had this problem. What should I do to correct this?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Real easy, Jonathon. The quickest way to correct that is to re-establish the stability of the lips. We do this the easiest way which is to pronounce "Tooh" on each and every articulated note. Do it first with single notes, then scales, arpeggios and later simple studies. It'll take care of it straightaway. You must exaggerate quite a bit at very first to get the idea. Pronounce it as clearly as the number 2 when you articulate each and every note. With slurs, a bit more "H" is needed, so, think "Hooh" like the word "who".

ML

3. ScreaminRaider

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Thank you very much. I will let you know how it works out.

4. ScreaminRaider

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    ***Update**

Manny, Thanks againg sooo much. I did what you told me, and I got almost immediate results. I started out in front of a mirror, and started to notice that my bottom lip was sticking out a littlle. I remember one of the Judges pointing this out. I adjusted my embouchure and I don't get the hole, and my sound is full again. Thanks again

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jonathan,

Thank you for making my evening. Much continued success to you.

ML