Embouchure Problem?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crazytrmpetnerd9, Nov 1, 2007.

1. crazytrmpetnerd9

crazytrmpetnerd9 New Friend

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    I had braces on for a little while earlier this year and by this point, I have had braces off longer than I have had them on, so I have had time to get back into the swing of things. Before the braces, I was maxing out at high F above the staff. Now the last not I can hit without hurting myself is an A! I don't know what to make of it... I have been doing a lot of Arbans stuff that works my range but it doesn't seem to be going all that well... Another problem I have is when I start getting up higher my chest starts to hurt and I want to stop playing because it doesn't feel right. I have seen pictures of my old embouchure and my new one now and they are very different.. Thanks a ton in Advance!:-)

2. pops

pops Pianissimo User

Mar 17, 2004
    Dallas
    Well since we can't see you now and a year ago; we have to make guesses.

The chest hurting implies that you are making compression and shutting off the lips to the point where it is TOO hard for the air to escape.

Typically tension and compression are LAST resorts to playing.

We use them at the TOP of our range NOT all of the time.

The lip curl that is made by jaw movement caused by tongue arch is what most people use from Low F# to above the staff.

For some reason you are NOT doing that now and instead tensing up, or using lip compression WAY too soon, maybe both.

Look at Tongue arch and hiss.

That will help some.
    Then start RELAXING the face so the air makes the lips vibrate and doesn't cause chest pains.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jack,
    very good advice by Pops!
    Remember that you had braces for a couple of years and have developed some habits with the geometry of your face. Changing habits can start today, but needs time - as much as a year even if you are paying attention! Every time you play without paying attention, you are taking a step backwards.
    You need lessons from someone qualified that can help you stay on track. If you try to tackle this alone, the results may turn out quite random!

4. crazytrmpetnerd9

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    Surprisingly enough, I didn't even have the braces on for two months! I had so much trouble with the trumpet, I had them taken off, and now, I have Invisaligns; they are clear retainers that straighten your teeth faster than braces, and I can take them out when I play! Thanks for the advice!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jack,
    when you have your teeth "realigned", the tongue does not know where to go. Practice slurs, slurs and more slurs, that will start building some habits based on the new geometry!

6. pops

pops Pianissimo User

Mar 17, 2004
    Dallas
    The braces themselves presented a shift to the contor that the lips set on.

The curret problem is that the teeth cahnge on a regular basis. (What every 2-4 weeks.) The embouchure takes longer than that to become stable. Before it becomes stable the teeth have shifted slightly again.

You will catch up but not as quickly as you thought.

YES lip slurs (tongue level exercises) are good for this.

7. crazytrmpetnerd9

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    Thanks! The Arban's book has been helping some too and I have also been doing scales in thirds up as high as i can go.. Will this be helpful?

8. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I am actually thinking about getting invisalign. My top teeth are pushed forward a little and my bottom pushed back a little. Its hard for me to play completely correct with my teeth in line. I also have to have my wisdom teeth that need to be removed. I think i'm gonna put that off for a long while hah.

9. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    Jack push through these "tough" times. Your body is getting used to life with out braces. You can do it! be patient

10. crazytrmpetnerd9

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    What is Clark Studies? I have heard of it but never used it or looked at it.... Thanks for all the advice!:-)