Embouchure Problem...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Feb 15, 2013.

1. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    So whenever I try to play high, my mouthpiece slides down. I can play high notes easily that way, but I have no control on the notes I play. Any way to fix this?

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Leave it there and practice. I like playing Cichowicz long tones making sure to never move the piece off your face as you descend on each page.

Tom

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mouthpieces do not slide on their own... they are actively pushed by muscle... Don't actively push, tighten the exit hole and aim it straight down the bore of the mouthpiece, but don't push.... Relax around the rim.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi keigoh. I may have misunderstood you. But if you have "no control" on the notes you play, then I would say that you can't play high notes easily.

Everything on the trumpet has to be earned. This includes high notes. If the mouthpiece is moving around and you don't have control on the notes coming, then it sounds like you maybe haven't earned them yet.

Mike

gmonady likes this.
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It is my obsevation that the best trumpet players DO NOT MOVE the mpc on their upper lip, but may disengage the lower lip completely when breathing.