Embouchure promlem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by culvermr, Jul 14, 2008.

1. culvermr

culvermr New Friend

Jul 14, 2008
    Hello,
    I have a problem with my embouchure where an air spitty sound comes out of the right side of my mouth sometimes. Is there a way to fix this?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Google Eric Bolvin pencil trick.

That and enough intelligent practice is all you need!

3. trompette1

trompette1 New Friend

Jul 2, 2008
    portland or
    I assume your teeth are even if so read Farkas Art of French Horn Playing on the embouchure development. Play lots of long pp tones and think of what your doing expirement to find the solution..maybe you havent played enoug to strengthen your lips//////// any good luck caliccio w/Herrick mp

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, culvermr!

Stuff is really tough for the best of us to diagnose over the internet. How long have you been playing? How long do you practice each day? What do you practice/play?Anything strange about the formation of your jaw, teeth, etc.?

The more information you can give, the better the folks here can help!

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Most problems of this sort is caused by strain or a faulty embouchure. You might need a minor adjustment, maybe more.Embouchure is the way you use lips inside the mouthpiece, don`t confuse this with mouthpiece placement. You`r problem could be one or all of above,without seeing and hearing you I can`t tell which. Concentrate on soft even longtones and no arm pressure, rest as long as you play say 5 min. on 5 min. off.

6. Aerotrom

Aerotrom New Friend

Jul 17, 2008
    Spain
    Hi,
    When you guys talk about studying lots of long tones and pedal tones, what do you really mean by that? I'll try to explain my self.
    I've been playing the trumpet for a year and a half know. Although I friend of mine, who is a very good trumpet player, is helping me once in a while, I could say that I'm learning to play the instrument by my self (with a lot of reading here and there and with the help this kind of sites can bring, which BTW, is a lot). I practice almost everyday for about an hour, resting in between exercises. I practice Arban slurs, scales, flexibility stuff... and also I usually warm up with the Stamp Method.
    My question about the long tones is with the practice time it should take, for an hour-practice session (is the time I have, unfortunatelly), and how to distribute that time for some other different exercises. I usually play part of the Adam routine that I found on the internet.
    I'm really interested on getting endurance, hopping the range will come sooner or later (although we all would like to play high, specially begginers :-P). My range would probably be from low Gb (I practice pedals down to C) to a B (the one just under the high C. I can hit a high C and more, but I can't say they are solid so I don't consider them part of my range).
    Thanks for the repply and excuse the possible mistakes I've made with the english language :-) (I'm spanish)

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    1 third long tones and slurs, one third music and at the end of the session 1 third technical studies. In your case of 1 hour, 20 minutes for each part. I put music in the middle because I believe that you should NEVER practice music when your chops are tired and if one hour is all you have on the average, you are tired at the end!

8. Aerotrom

Aerotrom New Friend

Jul 17, 2008
    Spain
    Thanks rowuk. I'll try it that way. I guess you are including the resting time in each part, aren't you? anyway, I'll try to find some more time to practice too, otherwise I'm never really going to improve...
    I've heard it's also good to finish the session with long notes or pedals to "relax" the lip (all of them played very softly of course...). Is that OK?

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I've never done that or asked my students to either. If I have had a really strenuous gig (dance competitions that go from 8 to 2:30 in the morning or a circus gig for instance) I will buzz on the mouthpiece a little on the way home. My warm down is usually something COLD to drink after the gig. If I am not driving, it will be a beer (I live in Germany after all).:lol: