Embouchure question from newbie.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by peterthepainter, Mar 27, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Welcome to TM... Hard to believe we are recommend the soft, gentle touch... such is the advice you will get from us blowhards....

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I find filling the space behind the teeth with air helps me develop more of a fat sound (when I want it... not all the time). But still be soft and gentle with the pressure you use to fill this space.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's a good thing :thumbsup::thumbsup: !! The "no pressure" mantra is the other ditch in the embouchure development road (blow 'til you bleed is the other). It is not possible from a physics standpoint to use no pressure or there is no seal. I've seen countless NP videos and dissertations that only serve to enlarge the pockets of the proponent. It takes time, and lots of it, to develop a strong embouchure. If you can feel your teeth, or have to push them back forward when done, that's probably too much pressure. Nobody performs in real life with their horn on a string. It's all gimmicky. I saw one "method" selling for upwards of $300!! I wouldn't let air in my upper lip. The only way to develop is to have a consistent, intelligent practice routine. I don't have hours a day of practice time so it has taken me the better part of 6 years to develop a nice fat high F w/o tearing up my chops. Soft altissimo, long tones, chromatic ascension/descension are all good tools to get you where you want to go. :play:

4. peterthepainter

peterthepainter New Friend

Mar 18, 2012
    Calpe. Costablanca. SPAIN
    With so many people responding to my original and first post, it really good to know so many other players take an interest and I really feel a part of this forum.

But this has a bit of Wow factor.
    For all the advice about relaxing, just breathe normally, stand easy, no tension (Vizzutti), pull the horn away from your face and soar (no pressure) etc. etc. no-one ever simply said "don't pucker, just play". All the other advice actually adds up to that, but no-one said it. If you pucker, blow out the candle etc. there's tension straight away. Buzzing is tension surely.
    Anyhow I tried it, and proceeded to play cleanly through a couple of pieces I had not been unable to crack before. If I feel the tension come back, I just stop for a minute, take a few deep breaths and try again. There's nothing radical here, it's all about interpreting and understanding what I'd read before. But this helps, big time!

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

If you mean that you are allowing air under the area above the upper lip you should avoid it.

If you mean that your upper lip doesn't touch your teetth when you play that is good.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Peter a big part of learning to play is trying to understand what other people are talking about and how to apply it to yourself. Too many people try to be literal without really understanding how things work. This is how I teach. So that the student knows what to do, how to do it and why they are doing it. People forget that different people learn in very different ways. A good teacher must know this and fit the information to how the student learns.