Embouchure question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by milessmiles, Jun 21, 2007.

1. milessmiles

milessmiles New Friend

Jun 19, 2007
    I play with an embouchure that has a rolled out lower lip, i seem to be playing ok, but i want to know if there are any problems with this and if i should change my embouchure ASAP

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is not generally accepted good practice. You should at least have a qualified teacher look at it. Let us know what comes out of it!

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It sounds like what the Germans call einsetzen, and is way more commonly used on french horn. It might work, but having a teacher or two check it out is an excellent idea.

4. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Some one who use to post on this board once said, "it doesn't matter what you look like, it's what you sound like".

How's your tone? If your tone isn't so good, a chance in embourhure may be in order.

5. milessmiles

milessmiles New Friend

Jun 19, 2007
    I think my tone is alright, my teacher said it's weird but it seems to be working for me and he'll have to see later if i should change it

6. Gary Schutza

Gary Schutza Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2007
    Kansas City
    I only advocate embouchure changes where there is really something wrong and the change will fix it. What you are doing doesn't seem to fit into the "doing something wrong" category. Axiom to live by: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    Make sure that you are getting all you can get out of your present embouchure before you decide to change. An embouchure change can be traumatic. And sometimes the change isn't any better. Plus, to make an embouchure change work requires an enormous amount of diligence. A great deal of practice precisely at a time when we don't want to practice because we sound bad and it doesn't work well. Think long and hard about an embouchure change. I generally don't recommend one except in dire circumstances.
    By the way, I've found that a series of very easy small steps works way better than a large change.

Probably way more information than you wanted.

chip