Embouchure question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by musickaye, May 20, 2009.

1. gcast

gcast New Friend

Apr 12, 2009
    Old Lou speaks the truth. I too joined a local band with my 8th grade son and we are having a total blast. We just had our first concert this past weekend, and I can truly say this one of the funnest performances I have had the pleasure of participating in. :D

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Musickaye - I found this thread while searching for information on the Costello method. Since you say you studied this method, does it not provide you with some ideas? I am making a comeback (hopefully) after nearly 30 years. I am having endurance problems although a bit different - my lips just simply tucker out and feel like mush after awhile. I saw a recent posting about the Costello method with a book and CD. The posting made it sound like the method is specifically designed to address this type of problem. Do you have any thoughts one way or the other about this? Should I order it?
    Thanks and good luck.

3. musickaye

musickaye New Friend

Jan 31, 2009
    Monmouth County NJ
    Hello come-back kid,

When I studied the Costello method, I learned from my then teacher Roy Stevens. He had a very small studio on 48th Street. You could visit him any time. You could sit in on anyones private lesson. You could hear him tell each student over and over again just how to use this method. Actually, you could never hear it too much. The more you heard, the more it stuck. At that time it was a very new concept. CD's were not sent with the book so you had to try to figure out the pictures and read all the text, over and over again. Mostly Roy's students were New York players. He didn't have much contact with players who learned the method strickly by reading and playing.

Yes, I think the book and CD are worth buying. I am again slowly using Roy's method. First I had to get some good practice time under my belt. I felt I needed to reach a point of playing before I went back to Roy's method. Over the years my original book got flooded out living in my basement. What I practice of Roy's method is from my memory of listening to him hour after hour. Go buy the book. I do think it will help. I know the CD will make it all come together.

Good Luck,

Kaye

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    musickay and mimic, how about web cam lessons?

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Bob,
    Webcam lessons may be a great approach (Isn't modern technology amazing?) I just need to figure out how to hook up my webcam to my trumpet. Maybe I'll call my grandson to see if he can come over and help me. If so, I'll get back to you.
    Thanks.