Embouchure Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Dec 29, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Its been a while since I have been doing this.
    When I am in the normal range {yah know, sorry for my uneducational saying} I play slightly on the side but when I go over the normal range, I tend to end up sort of completely on the left side. How can I fix this? I try to play in the middle when high but its really uncomfortable.... :(

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It maybe just your jaw moving, but seriously there is no way anyone can guess without seeing it in person. If it sounds OK, and feels comfortable don't sweat on it, but get your teacher to check you out.

Maybe you missed the opportunity to ask when you were with Barliman2001; you need personal assistance not internet guesswork.

3. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    He said to fix it. :(

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    MP placement should be stable throughout your range. Are you using a lot of pressure and that is why your switching sides? Try playing all on one side quietly. If you can't play your high notes ppp then you may not have them a secure as you like. The movement sounds like compensation. IDK! Really I'm an electrician

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    BBM, your main problem with the trumpet embouchure comes from the French horn. Most French horn players have a slight tendency to put the mouthpiece to the left of center, due to the fact that the instrument is more or less a leftist conspiralacy (no typo!!). On trumpet, your embouchure is straight in the center when playing low to middle range. And whenever you go towards the fringes of your comfort zone (i.e. UP), you move your embouchure to where it feels comfortable (à la French horn). So why don't you out your trumpet embouchure where your French horn one is? Much easier, and will solve all problems.

6. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Wait could you explain what do you mean by out?

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I think out = put.

8. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Typo. put.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I recommend overdosing on (soft+fast) lipslurs like from the Earl Irons book. Then an embouchure evolves to a more efficient state. I really do not like talking about positioning the mouthpiece. It is NOT an intellectual parameter.

10. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Normally, in a trumpet-only universe, that would be ok. But with BBM, we've got two universes clashing. So far, he is coping well with this War of the Worlds. But re-positioning his trumpet embouchure to where his - well-developed - French horn embouchure is, would IMHO facilitate matters.