Embouchure Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Dec 29, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I have been like this for years I started trumpet way before french horn

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I still think if it feels comfortable, and you are making no special conscious decision to change something, and your tone is good across the range - don't sweat on it.

The suggestion from Rowuk sounds good, and maybe should be done to get that stability.

Across the whole range from pedals up, (for me) the bell of the horn moves up from centre for pedals, as my jaw drops (aww-oorr) and then the bell of the trumpet moves down as I move up the range to about the High D (as my cavity decreases and tongue ach is more pronounced, and up again as I move a lot more air for the upper register -like an open hiss blowing straight- and my lips pout into the mouthpiece to get more grip (well grip is probably not the word, but the lips move into the mpce). I think everyone is different for a lot of reasons, teeth, jaw, lip size, muscle development etc.

If the sound out the front is clear, you're comfortable, then that is what matters.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Look up David Guerrier. He is a fantastic horn player that also kicks ass with the trumpet. His Youtube Hummel has been posted by me before. He also has other cornet stuff.