Embouchure questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stradivarius151, Dec 27, 2011.

1. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    I should make it known: I have never, in my 5 years on the trumpet, played with a correct embouchure. I have a multitude of ways I've played incorrectly. I'm not going to get into what I did wrong just for time (you'd be here awhile...)

Anyway, I was playing tonight, getting tired, and for whatever reason I tried making more of an mmm shape.

Gosh! Better tone, endurance (I felt like I hadn't played a note all day), flexibility, almost no pressure, horn at a higher angle (mine was always low) and most importantly, RANGE. I just need to get used to this more, and learn how to use air.

But before I do, is this all right? I need to see my teacher, but I won't at least for another week, maybe more.

2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    It looks like you did better in all the parameters that you measured. The proof is in the pudding.

3. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Also remember the increased buzz...the more lip muscle will need strengthening. You can run a marathon without stretching but yer gonna hurt. Some people play more in the mouthpiece and others more outward. Down stream, upstream etc...

The embouchure is a human mystery. All I know is when you lift weights with your embouchure it's best to start light and work up to heavy. It has nothing to do with register but more discipline.

4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Just offhand I'd say you're probably a good fit for the forward jaw embouchure. Conversely there are others who can not play with a forward jaw. We call these "receded jaw" players. Most of us play that way.

But the exceptions such as yourself find range and endurance a relatively easy go of it. Famous forward jaw trumpet players include;

Doc Severinsen
    Bud Brisbois
    Jon Faddis

Roy Roman's story is very similar to yours. This from wiki:

Roman began playing the trumpet at age 19. After an injury to one of his front teeth, he was introduced to Roy Stevens Roy Stevens, the teacher of a scientific method of embouchure development pioneered by William Costello. Today, Roman is the world's leading expert on the Stevens/Costello Method, a technique that allows the player to increase range, endurance and control.

What the story doesn't tell is you that Roy switched to a forward jaw setting. The technique promoted in the Stevens/Costello Method.

Again, that technique applies ONLY to a fortunate minority.

All things considered the receded jaw setting, while not the technique common to real screamers isn't such a bad fare either. This cat plays louder and with a fuller tone. And there are always notable exceptions. Maynard played with a slightly receded jaw. With a tone far BIGGER than those listed above.

5. stradivarius151

Mar 1, 2010
    I have yet to see that it still works over time, but it really was quite amazing. Thanks for the responses everybody!

6. stradivarius151

Mar 1, 2010
  7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    So in 24 hours you went from being a guy with an inconsistent embouchure to someone who's able to play like one of the best lead players alive?

8. stradivarius151

Mar 1, 2010
    No, I don't have the underlying skill, consistency, and experience that Wayne has.

Would you say a poster of the Grand Canyon is the real thing just because it looks like it?

9. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    +1
    Great answer!

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Then I don't understand your previous update:

"I can play this, the real way, except I may be squeaking the Double (Triple?) D."

What does that mean?