Embouchure Recording

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hi guys,

Managed to work out how to record myself and upload/convert to some decent size. Please have a look at what I am doing down/up the range, I move the horn off as I play the top line F so you can see how the mouth looks and what not...

To me it doesn't look right as to what is happening... but I don't seem to know any other way to play. Maybe there is nothing wrong. Don't know.

I also will put all 4 videos up. You can see how Im getting dead after the first 3 videos which is only like 5min of playing in total, the videos are in order from just picking up the horn to the end where I'm already dead. This is what I honestly do not understand. My mouth gets sore. If I try to play few hours later, it still feels 'dead'. I have to leave it until the next day before its normal. Play 5 minutes and thats it. Try play later in the day and its still 'suffering' from earlier playing as though it never rested. So this is my problem/concern. I love this instrument but It just feels like it cant be done and where I aspire to get to (in terms of professional quality playing) I feel as though it will only be a dream as it just doesn't work and thus I can not get there and yet to me music is all about getting there.

So here are the videos from first to last in order of my playing. Excuse the horrid sound, the errors etc, was just simply a quick recording for the sake of what my mouth is doing/should/should not be.

http://videobam.com/SEkrP

http://videobam.com/aeBkz

http://videobam.com/WiyFB

http://videobam.com/IAmTI

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    It looks like there is some weirdness happening with your jaw. Like you are pushing it out and down as you get higher. Your bottom lip puffs out once you get to C in the staff. That tells me that you don't have a good enough amount of pressure on the lower lip, and you aren't keeping the muscles under pressure to hold your embouchure. Either that, your you need to lower the angle of the horn so fit your underbite so you have better contact between your bottom lip and the mouthpiece.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sorry, but the nifty firewall here blocks your videos. Not your fault. I trust Brekelefuw's eyes, and ears, though. For most (not all!) players with an underbite who play really well it is common for the jaw to move forward for the higher notes, but it is not common for the lower lip to puff. Could you post some still photos?

4. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Can you turn firewall off so you can see them and then turn it back on? Or have a look on another system. It is hard to still shot what would be needed. The puff out thing happens so that theres more 'stretch' so that the notes can be achieved, I assume.

5. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Nope. Don't puff your lower lip out.

6. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    I don't mean for it to puff out. It is just what it does. To prevent that happening I have to pull my bottom lip back against the teeth so to speak to make it hard, but then my jaw just feels all weird like im trying too hard.

7. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    How does it sound? That's the important thing. Think of it as being a c in the staff takes twice the energy as a c below the staff. We can generate a lot of that energy through our air, but we need sufficient strength in our chops to keep them from getting blown apart.

8. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Well I will try something different, record, and post, and see if that is more 'right'. Sound wise... does the 'bad' way sound ok in terms of tone?

9. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Well, how good does it sound at top line F# or after 5 minutes of playing?

10. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Here is another recording, trying something different. Ive put it on another site as you might be able to view it. Otherwise, anyone know where I can upload so I can just get the video showing in the forum here?

View My Video

At the end of basically 1 min playing (I played the same song once before I started to record) I try to do the scale from C-E and mouth already dead that it wont even go there... and this is 3 years since I started playing? Somethings severely disconcerting about that. AM I HANDICAPPED?