embouchure/resonance help needed..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trjeam, Jan 9, 2006.

1. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    I understand that you obtain maximum amount of resonance (overtones) when when your pitch is dead in the center.

I just recently changed my embouchure (about 1.5 months ago). Everything is correct as far as embouchure is concerned (i have a teacher that helped me with that).

Although I can play fluently I'm starting to have problems with my sound. The center of my sound is fuzzy and in a attempt to get rid of the fuzziness I tend to over blow making my tone sound horrible.

Over blowing just makes me work harder and the sound is not even close to being resonant.

I've figured out that my problem is that my embouchure is not stable. I came to that conclusion when I realized that I'm not able to maintain notes in the center of the pitch. It goes center, flat, sharp, back to center ext...

I do practice with a tuning CD that I have. I hear the pitch and then match it until I hear overtones but lately this has become a struggle for me because I over blow in a attempt to not have a fuzzy center and my chops not being stable also adds to the problems.

What would you suggest that I should do?

ps. yes I made sure my horn was clean and I do listen to orchestral players a lot. I think I have a pretty solid sound concept.

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Keep the corners firm and play softly until you are getting the sound you want. Since you just changed your embouchure, you need to give your center a chance to reinvent itself a bit. Back off and play easy melodies "mf" or "p" concentrating only on the sound you want and the music you want to make. The Italian songs with accompaniment CD is a great way to do that. Your chops will settle down with some patience.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I have a suspicion you've grown out of your mouthpiece, Jorge, and your lips are rebelling.

Assuming things are as you say and the embouchure is not corrupted by any imbalances, I think there may be a few potential issues:

1) the throat size may be too small and you're encountering resistance you wouldn't have noticed on the old embouchure

2) the mouthpiece may be too small and not accomodating your lips anymore because you have different needs

3) the rim may need to be changed to accomodate the new embouchure and give you a bit more wiggle room

4) it could also be abdominal tightness which is VERY common in these cases, as well. That causes resistance that manifests itself at the lips and creates strained sounds.

Why don't you go on a mouthpiece sampling safari and see if anything makes sense. If you feel the mouthpiece you presently play is right for you, I don't have an answer without hearing you play.

Good luck,

ML

4. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    actually you're probably right. I use to play a bach 5c and my teacher had me move down to a bach 3c but he really wanted me to try something bigger..

i didn't think it would affect me in such a way though.. i guess it's mp hunting time! I've always wanted to try a GR mouthpiece I guess now it's the time.

before i do anything with mp's i'll double check with my teacher on my next lesson to see what he has to say.