Embouchure set up…

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by et_mike, Feb 29, 2008.

1. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Ok, curiosity has gotten the best of me… I’m wondering where everyone places the mouthpiece on their lips. Do you play with the mouthpiece high on your lips, dead center or lower on the lips? There are a host of great players that do it different, so now I’m curious how all of the T’mers are set up…

Personally, I tend to be up high on the mouthpiece, with my lips just above center…

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    In my case, I hold the mouthpiece rim about 2/3 on the upper lip and slightly off center to the left to accomidate a protruding incisor. I am NOT overly concerned about an extreme upper range, as the C above the staff is quite dependable. I don't consider much above that anything but 'show off', not good music. That upp0er range 'screaming' offends my hearing and embarasses me for the 'musician' ( ? ) that is offending the audience with that racket.My major concerns are tone, flexibility,articulation, and endurance.

OLDLOU>>

3. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Cool... I've actually noticed more that it seems "most achieved" players hold the mouthpiece 2/3 on the upper lip. Or closer to that than the other extreme anyway. Interestingly enough, you and Chris Botti share an identical embouchure, with the mouthpiece being off to the left.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The slit between my lips is about centered on the mouthpiece, my lower lip is somewhat rolled in so it appears about half as big as the compressed upper lip. I am not sure how I would describe that in terms of percentage.

The embouchure works most of the time up to double C but starts getting thinner at G below double C.

5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    actually, Rowuk, that was good description, I think I have a pretty good mental image of what you have going on. Not the first time I have heard of that kind of setup. Do you mind me asking how you came to adopt that setup as opposed to others?

6. croatoa

croatoa New Friend

Feb 12, 2008
    is it true that players who have to play always in high register (big band solos for example) generally are very high on mouthpiece (2/3 on the lower lip...the opposite of what usually books says)????

7. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Same as Rowuk.

8. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA

That seems to be a trend that I am noticing and is what really sparked my curiosity. There are exceptions of course, but it appears that is how it is most of the time.
    My trumpet teacher is a classical player and his range only goes to a solid G above high C, he plays with 2/3 on the bottom lip. Chris Botti (and I only use him because he happens to come to mind) plays jazz, and mostly in the higher register, and plays 2/3 on the top lip... More proof, I guess, that there is no "one" right way...

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I play this way because I refused every attempt to change my embouchure. I have had 3 teachers that felt a need to fix something that wasn't broken. I always have had decent range, most people that listen do not comment negatively about my sound and lip slurs/flexibility studies were always fun.

I have an overbite and angle the trumpet slightly down to keep pressure off of the upper lip.

I have often looked for a pattern comparing embouchure and range but haven't found anything conclusive except that force reduces high range.

10. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I see... I hate the "it aint' broke so we are going to fix it" mentality... I deal with that alot in the military! lol. So do you think the overbite is what caused you to start playing this way in the begining?