Embouchure set up…

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by et_mike, Feb 29, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, crooked teeth and lack of a music stand probably had more to do with my starting embouchure than any other factor. My left upper incisor is partially in front of the right upper. That for sure made me aware of the detrimental effects of pressure. I also used to point the trumpet not straight ahead, but slightly off to the right.
    This changed in 1997 when I started to play Monette. Maybe it was the mass of the Ajna2 that made me hold the trumpet differently or the fact that very small differences became very audible - or both. I don't know. I did become much more aware of my body use after starting to play that horn. Looking at various photographs of me playing, the trumpet position wandered to straight ahead (still angled down slightly) within 3 months and none of it was a concious effort on my part. The mouthpiece position on my face has remained unchanged.

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Very interesting... thanks for the reply Row...

3. Jayem

Jayem Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2008
    i dont know if its really different on trumpet or not but when i play the sousaphone i tend to stay really low on the mouthpiece to where my bottom lip is barely in then if i get out of my comfort zone ill kind of move more towards the center subconciously

4. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    My setup is pretty much centered (up and down), but maybe just slightly off to the left. I also have crooked teeth. I also angle the horn down more in the upper register I think mostly to keep the pressure off my top lip, so I do end up tucking the lower lip over the bottom teeth a little, while also pushing my lower jaw out only slightly. I've also always had pretty good range.

5. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah, this stuff really "offends" me too :cool: LOL!!!

6. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
  7. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I have a pretty funky horn angle. I'd say its at about 30-45 Degrees. I have an overbite with my upper teeth and they got pretty crooked with my two front teeth due to not getting my Wisdom teeth removed in time. I still play in the center of the horn, but I play downward. Same with rowuk too, I grew up with no Music stand

8. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Thanks Patric...

9. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    anyone else??

10. stevebtx

stevebtx Piano User

Jan 18, 2005
    How about apperture? Do you folks think about it at all.. do you feel it is small like a pin hole or wide as the cup?