Embouchure set up…

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by et_mike, Feb 29, 2008.

1. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    As of late, I've been trying to pay more attention... when I practice my technical stuff, I try to do it very softly and it feels like a pin hole with a fine thread being pulled through it.

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I'm not sure this was directed at the likes of me, but . . .

My mouthpiece sets I think at about 50/50. The ring left behind by my mouthpiece has the apex right at the top edge of my upper lip, and the rim extends obviously above that.

I play with the tradational "farkas" I think it's called enbouchure- that's all I've ever known until doing some reading recently. I'me experimenting with the curl of the lower lip as well - if I understand correctly, what most do is to curl in the lower lip slightly as you increase into the upper register. I am able to do this - I guess this is not really resetting the emboucher - is it? In any case, I can do that as I increase the pitch, but can't use a curl at the lower pitches. For what it's worth, the curl - at this stage has no affect on my range (right about high C at the moment - can eek out an E if I want to push it and I'm feeling good, but really am not ready to be playing that high right now). How the curl will effect things as my chops come back . . . we'll see. Should I continue experimenting with the curl as I practice in upper register - or just as I need it, or just continue with my normal embouchure for now.?. I am sure my teacher will have something to say about that - when I actually get started on lessons.

Aperture: Well, I can't say that I'm overly aware of what I'm doing there. As an old drum corps guy, we always put out a lot of air . . . I'd have to say it's open, but focused. Certainly not as wide as the cup, though I can't be sure. I've never been able to buzz well without a mouthpiece, so I can't really see it.

3. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    I've got pretty crooked teeth, and if I put enough pressure I'll actually get a few cuts inside my mouth :( I play with the bottom rim on the center of my bottom lip, with the top lip free to buzz against the bottom, minimum pressure. I remember in marching band I was trying a few different embouchures, and by the end of the evening I was able to spit blood from all the wrong attempts. Ah well...

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't think about it at all, and never have. My teacher got me practicing softly pretty early and I have always loved lip slurs so I guess the aperature has just behaved itself without "distracting" me.
    Maybe I just came from a generation where you believed your teacher blindly and didn't have a TM to "check up" on them.
    There are many truths about trumpet playing. Whether they are "useful" information or just tidbits of trivia, I am not sure. A good daily routine takes care of the big picture without having to over-intellectualize the process.
    If it works, I guess it doesn't matter, but it is better not to overload the student with everything that could go wrong. Give them exercizes that lets everything develop solidly and as a whole unit instead of individual pieces that are subject to trouble.

5. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    I'm a lead player.I play with a GR 67MS and use about 2/3 lower ,1/3 upper. I play a little to the left but still very centered, however like my idol Arnie Chycowski I play with the horn tilted a bit upward also a habit from my DCI days!!! I also believe in the philosophy leave it alone if everything is working!

6. davidcu

davidcu New Friend

Jul 3, 2009
    to oldlou-

i have the same emboucure, and recently i tried some experiments and put 2/3 one the bottom lip an 1/3 on the top and i got some interesting results. my upper ranger increased drastically. according to wikipedia(farkas embouchure) a frenchhorn player should have 2/3 on top and 1/3 on the bottom. a trumpet player should have 1/3 on top and 2/3 on the bottom.

7. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    1/3 upper lip and 2/3 lower lip. I have my lower lip rolled in slightly, but recently I have been trying to play with my lower lip rolled out and ever so slightly puckered. I find I can play a bit higher this way.