Embouchure & the Role of the Teeth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Sep 5, 2014.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    woo hoo TrickG ---- Dude, your getting older --- everything is changing. YOUR jaw actually shrinks when you get older, and your gums recede --- so I suppose you did NOT factor this into your equation. Let's see, by now (excluding your small tour into percussion land) - you have also learned how to relax, to develop better mechanics than when you were younger. I think your teeth (as long as you have them) have little to do with your playing, they only mess with your imagination.

BUT HEY --we all look for reasons why we can play better.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    when you get to the High A -- let me know -- we can trade YouTube vids again -- ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL -- and I will smile to show you my teeth also ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There are articles online on the subject of dentistry and the embouchure/ability on the horn. You'll either have to trust me or look it up on your own. Regarding the rest, you aren't telling me anything I don't already know. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. My current night guard is broken.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh, really? Have you tried the phwoooo embouchure?

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    G-man regenerated in Dr Phwoo

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It creates a more relaxed embouchure and by recruiting additional muscle to assist in controlling the orbicularis function. It simply works... simply. Buzzing is so overrated.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Deja vu ;-)

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    here is my question --- if said teeth, which are NOW smaller because of grinding, and that has improved your playing ----- then why not put in a retainer, of let's say, 1/16th of an inch, or 1/8th, or whatever your teeth used to be? ---- maybe you can reproduce your previously results when your teeth were normal?
    ((perhaps, you can ask your Dentist to help you with this "experiment" -- such that you can conclude if the extra veneer will "help or hurt" before you actually get it done permanently))

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    how long did Jon Faddis take to recover, before he discovered his playing diminished? --- I can't imagine a trumpet player of his status taking 3 days off so the novacaine was totally out of his system ------ perhaps the residual drugs in his jaw contributed to that poor performance

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    don't cut your finger nails too short ROFL ROFL ROFL