Embouchure & the Role of the Teeth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Sep 5, 2014.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    sorry, I started off wrong then --- OK, since you and I are about the same age --- I can assess that my teeth (not from grinding) from years and years of EATING too much, and too many dog biscuits and other hard flavored treats have definitely wore down --- although I don't have a quantitative assessment like they do with "horses to tell their age" --- I can say through all of this --- MY PLAYING HAS IMPROVED OVER THE YEARS -------------- hope that helps ((of course there are varying other factors, (( I am more patient, more conscientious in practicing, spend more time practicing, and such)) --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    by the way TrickG -- have an awesome day, and don't forget to smile ( :D :-) :roll: ) -- there may be someone who needs a smile today -- maybe even someone who has no teeth

3. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    There are two ways to play the trumpet. The first, the player uses inward pressure, requiring the teeth to stop the horn. The second, is using just enough pressure to create a good seal. By saying "err", this eliminates unnecessary pressure. Should you ever take the time, Adam Rapa uses this second technique. Here he is teaching on the subject: http://www.21stcenturybrass.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Interview-w-Adam-Rapa-2013.pdf. Scroll down to the monkey pic and read about "the pucker". This has required me to reprogram my technique from the ground up, but wow what a huge difference has this made for me! Resonance, tone, endurance, range...you name it.

Hope this helps